engine case sealant

By sealant do you mean the gasket?

if the existing one came away undamaged then you can probably get away with giving the face a thin smear of grease & re-use it, but ideally you should get a replacement gasket & you’ll need to get one of those from a Honda dealers or a palce like wemoto for an aftermarket equivalent.

Sealant is the gel like stuff that comes in a tube & yes you can get it in Halfrauds, it has it’s uses but I sincerely doubt Honda would use it instead of a proper paper gasket. It can do the job as an emergency fix but you nedd to be very careful not to apply too much as when you tighten the cover you’ll squeeze the excess out of the join & if bits get loose within the engine they can block oilways leading to oil starvation & consequently expensive engine damage/failure.

Get a proper Honda gasket…

the gasket hasnt teared at all and is in good nick… do i just use some engine oil to wet it and reseal?

The one time engineer in me is screaming “ALWAYS USE A NEW GASKET.”

The pragmatic side is saying “Stuff it. It’s not under much pressure. Slap it back on”.

I’d probably end up compromising by putting a thin film of “Hylomar”* on the existing gasket after giving it a good clean with some spirit.

(I rate Hylomar as the best thin joint compound available. Possibly why Rolls Royce used to use it on their aero engines?)

Im getting a new gasket from dobles…dont wanna find that i got a leak and have to di it again… :ermm:

Re the lipstick, it depends on the bike. There is no universal rule. My bike is read when screwed in. The correct procedure will be in the owner’s manual.

well bike is back together… new gasket and oil. went round the block no leaks yet :ermm:

So Honda owner manuals even tell you what colour lippy you need to wear when on one of their bikes? Those Japanese really do think of everything don’t they… :D:D

Guiliano has an italian scooter… His manual mentions lipstic color but depends on the bikes & momo helmet color!