Electric bikes

So I'd want an electric bike blaring Ride of the Valkyries or similar :-)
I love the smell of burning diodes in the morning :)

A colleague at work was remarking on how many pedestrians and pets he gets walking out in front of his Nissan Leaf. Made me wonder if the RNIB are going to change the guide dog training.

Interesting reading.Ā  Royal Jordanian posted an excellent video on You-TubeĀ a month ago when he took a few ZerosĀ out for a spin.Ā  Seemed very impressedā€¦Ā Ā  Ā https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAFDpbXESgg

I notice heā€™s just posted a review of the Zero SR up 4 days ago, as in the first video heā€™d promised to take one out for a longer-term ride.Ā  I havenā€™t watched it yet so donā€™t know what his longer term opinion isā€¦Ā  Ā Ā https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtcKUhMXQtk

Iā€™m seriously interested in the FXS ā€˜supermotoā€™Ā (the DSĀ looks alright as well).Ā  Reason is theĀ very long waits for service slots where Iā€™m currently living,Ā and repair work that is pricey, not great quality, and sometimes downright dangerous!Ā  So the lower-maintenance aspect of a 'leccy bike is VERYĀ appealing.Ā  Added to that the sub-Ā£9k price (after the Ā£1500 Govt grant) and I think you get a lot of performance and cheap running costs for the money.Ā  Charging via a regular 240v domestic socket would work for me, and ā€˜QuickChargerā€™ or ā€˜SuperChargersā€™ bring the charge time down to 35-60 mins.

Re ā€˜loud pipes saves livesā€™, Iā€™d partly agree, but at least it adds certainty to the motorist NOT being able to hear us coming instead of wondering Will they, Wonā€™t they.

If my wheels were for a less than 100 miles commute, Iā€™d definitely be considering one. As you say Mark, lower maintenance costs (and hassle) is a big plus.

I was impressed when I took a Zero ST out but itā€™s still the range and cost that puts me off

Re 'loud pipes saves lives', I'd partly agree, but at least it adds certainty to the motorist NOT being able to hear us coming instead of wondering Will they, Won't they.
Good point.

Great videos, I really liked that, I actually love the sound it makes.

Interesting to see he did some pretty assertive filtering in Windsor, packed with traffic and dozy tourists, and he didnā€™t have any real problems apart from at 15:23 when he did a u-turn and rode up behind a woman walking obliviously down the middle of the street. One could argue that the woman shouldnā€™t be in the street and loud pipes would have brushed her out of the way but I think it was his duty to give them priority and not bully them, he did that with the first group but then he lunged at the woman in the burgundy jacket; he could have been a bit more patient with the second group. 

Yes it is quieter than a KTM with an Akrapovic but you can see he has little trouble adjusting his riding style to the relative silence.

Missenden Flyer posted a pretty comprehensive review which I think sums-upĀ how easy the bike is to live with on a day-to-day basis.Ā  He went from being curious to being a convert.Ā  Iā€™d always been pretty skeptical about them, but everyone who reviews them seems converted.Ā  The kettle style plug that charges via a 3-pin domestic socket makes charging simplicity in itself.

I bought a new NC750X from Doble last year which was a disaster for use in Scotland where dealers had an almost 6-week wait for basic servicing to maintain warranty.Ā  Not much use to me asĀ a daily commuter.Ā Ā Other than commuting & some evening A-road blats, I never use my bike for big trips, so the range on a Zero would likely do me ok.Ā  After the NC experience I bought a new car and swore I was finished with bikes, but theyā€™re hard to leave behind and I recently picked up a Tracer 700 which is almost out of warranty and Iā€™ll wield the spanners myself.Ā  Any bike that needs minimal dealer visits is my kind of bike!

For info, I sent Alec at English Electric Motor Co an enquiry about servicing and warranty (given the lack of dealers where Iā€™m staying at present).Ā  His reply wasā€¦

Thanks for your email,

There is no official zero service schedule to keep your warranty valid other than a PDI and we recommend at least a yearly check up regardless of the miles done.

We can offer a mobile servicing service, but it just depends on timing and when we will be up your way. In terms of tyres, brakes pads and a belt every 24k all of which can be done at any standard motorcycle shop.

Hope this helps,

A.

P.s we have already sold two bikes in Scotland already this year

As cool as it would be, itā€™s no good for people like me living in a block of flats with no access to power sockets. Iā€™d seriously consider it though if they installed some where I park my bike.

Like this

As cool as it would be, it's no good for people like me living in a block of flats with no access to power sockets. I'd seriously consider it though if they installed some where I park my bike.
Cypher
Or in a terraced house, which TBH is most of the London housing stock alongside blocks of flats.
Or in a terraced house, which TBH is most of the London housing stock alongside blocks of flats.
This is the big problem, and there will be a backlash against trailing leads which are already becoming a trip hazard. I think we have to accept the loss of residents' parking bays and more on-street charging points.
Missenden Flyer posted a pretty comprehensive review which I think sums-up how easy the bike is to live with on a day-to-day basis.
Fascinating. Thanks.

On a related topic - hereā€™s Nico Rosberg trying out his new Energica bike:

1 Like

Missenden Flyer posted a pretty comprehensive review which I think sums-up how easy the bike is to live with on a day-to-day basis.
Fascinating. Thanks.
Michael748
Unfortunately he binned the demo bike a few days later.  No major damage but quite a few small scrapes which combined, will cost a few Ā£ to sort.  Made me wonder if frame-sliders / crash bungs are an option?

Lyndon Poskitt is taking a Alta electric motorcycle to compete at Erzberg Rodeo 

This is the big problem, and there will be a backlash against trailing leads which are already becoming a trip hazard. I think we have to accept the loss of residents' parking bays and more on-street charging points.
Michael748
Unattended trailing leads across pavements are a very grey area in terms of ligality and liability due to the trip hazard. 

Lyndon Poskitt is taking a Alta electric motorcycle to compete at Erzberg Rodeo 
nivag
well he was until they got nicked  :-(