Educate me on brake pads

It’s time for new pads all round on my XJ6, I’m guessing OEM pads are sintered, what’s the best bet for replacements.

Mostly (almost exclusively) used for commuting - up the A3 at 50mph (ish) for 10 minutes and then through town so not especially heavy breaking, I’d rather have decent progressive feel than out and out breaking power (I feel more likely to grab too much and lock up rather than run out of power to be able to stop) so was looking at organic/semi sintered. I realise they don’t last as long as sintered but I guess I’ll just need to keep an eye on pad wear - is the difference all that great?

Semi sintered seem like a compromise position but are they the best of both worlds or worst of both worlds?

http://ebcbrakes.com/product/sintered-brake-pads/

Thoughts, opinions, experience or wild conjecture appreciated…

I don’t like EBC stuff I don’t like the feel or the lifespan

I love Ferodo Platinum pads give good feel & bite in both the wet (like today) & Dry

They seem to give good mileage as well

I have try SBS pads as well my second choice

I’d give the EBC pads a wide berth unless they’ve really upped their game.  I really like the Bendix range.  Bendix MF range are a very good replacement from OEM or for those with sports bikes looking for more performance, Bendix MRR are great, quick warm up, lots of feel and no fade.

Why go for sintered? 
Unless you’re giving it large standard pads are probably best.

http://powersports-blog.denniskirk.com/5573/powersports/motorcycle-brake-pads-sintered-vs-organic/

I have done track days on a R6 or ZX6R and do a city commute on a SV650 and I find EBC HH suit me.
But as the article above says, “for the casual rider organic brake pads are a solid choice”.

For what you are using it for I would also recommend using just OEM ones too

Why go for sintered?  Unless you're giving it large standard pads are probably best.

MikeDerBike

That's what I was thinking, and then I made the mistake of googling it and the internet is apparently full of people who believe they need MotoGP brakes to ride down Deptford high st.

OEM all the way.

https://londonbikers.com/forums/posts/235077/goldfren-ad-brake-pads-2000-miles-and-dead

lol.

The bikes at the Ron Haslam race school are all standard other than race fairings and you would struggle to find someone that thinks the Brakes could do with upgrading. Unless you are using a properly modded bike with an upgraded M/C then uprated Pads are over kill.

Why go for sintered?  Unless you're giving it large standard pads are probably best.

MikeDerBike

That's what I was thinking, and then I made the mistake of googling it and the internet is apparently full of people who believe they need MotoGP brakes to ride down Deptford high st. monkimark
they don't use there bikes so will shove whatever they can brag about

the most important thing i consider for out brakes is the ability to stop in the wet or dry without any fuss

http://www.wemoto.com/ is your friend. My preference is for GG organic pads which are softer than the HH sintered pads and bed in quicker. I also believe the GG pads are kinder to the discs. Others will argue the exact opposite and favour the HH pads. The real deal is probably that to achieve the same level of braking the softer GG pads require more braking vs the harder HH pads requiring less braking. Its a proper can of worms. I’m not to fussed about brands, if your getting them from a reputable supplier they’ll probably be a reputable pad. As a general rule I’d avoid eBay for critical parts such as pads.

Recent pads I’ve used and would recommend include

Brenta standard GG pads all round on the CBF 12,000 miles

Armstrong GG organic green pads on the Bonne’ rear 20,000 miles! (recommended by Essential Rubber as the couriers first choice of pad)

EBC GG organic pads on the Bonne’ front 12,000 miles

I'd give the EBC pads a wide berth unless they've really upped their game.  I really like the Bendix range.  Bendix MF range are a very good replacement from OEM or for those with sports bikes looking for more performance, Bendix MRR are great, quick warm up, lots of feel and no fade. B
absolutely love my bendix mrr, wouldnt fit any other now i tried them.  two years and never failed, wet dry cold emergency you name it.

As luck would have it, I got an email from Wemoto this afternoon and they have 20% off Brenta pads so I think I’ll go with NT’s recommendation and see how I get on. At £24 for a full set, it’s not the end of the world if I decide I don’t get on with them.

The Ferodo platinum seem to be widely praised but can’t find them online in the UK for my bike - where do you get them from Wise?

You’ll be fine, give the disc bobbins and calliper pistons a proper clean while your down there

As luck would have it, I got an email from Wemoto this afternoon and they have 20% off Brenta pads so I think I'll go with NT's recommendation and see how I get on. At £24 for a full set, it's not the end of the world if I decide I don't get on with them.

The Ferodo platinum seem to be widely praised but can’t find them online in the UK for my bike - where do you get them from Wise?

monkimark
I get mine from M&P

but I think Demon Tweeks sells them as well

Cheers Wise - they don’t name them on the M&P website, just a code, so they weren’t coming up in a google search.

Cheers Wise - they don't name them on the M&P website, just a code, so they weren't coming up in a google search. monkimark
YVW