Driveway

Does anyone park on those gravel stabilisation grids? work ok?
Need to start parking in my front garden and can’t stomach paving it

I have slate shingles in my front garden and occasionally will park the bike in there. I’ve put some larger slate slabs down in an aesthetically stochastic manner and aim to put the side stand on those. It’s only a small area rather than the whole drive so it’s not too inconvenient backing it in, but a larger area and that would be the biggest issue

I use a poppy side stand puck, slips neatly under the seat when not in use or just leave it where you park your mo’cycl… Get one from the RBLR and make a worthwhile donation at the same time.

https://shop.rblr.co.uk/ocart2/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=109

That’s not the problem he wants to fix NT.

And for the unlearned like me…

adjective

1. having a random probability distribution or pattern that may be analysed statistically but may not be predicted precisely.
1 Like

few things to consider .
have parked on car parks with them etc .
If you use these get a reputable manufacturer as they can be weakened by sun and deteriorate.
If you have a good compacted gravel then its no concern .
With heavy bikes you may want to consider using a puck as NT suggests as the sidestand weight can break the plastics if not careful in placement .

I have a foot pad puck thingy attached to the side stand.
How do you know which grids are decent?
I’ve got cheap golden shingle down, and would probably just do the same.
Or if I’m going to do it, should I pave? Or brick, or resin, or concrete, or what

Tarmac yeah?

Is it just for the bike? Block paving might add to the curb appeal but I feel like the others would detract and I’m not sure any would add much in the way of value - best to know in advance if your spending money or investing. Depending on size, it’s also quite pricey to do. Even the gravel stabilisation looked like it’d add up over a large area.

If it were me, I’d spend £10 on the pavers and put the rest on more toys, never can have enough of those

It’s for my house, not planning on moving for a long time.
Currently there is gravel on the part where I’ll park, and messy old concrete path to my door. So anything will be better.
I don’t want to spend lots, because I’ll need to get a gap knocked in the wall and rebuild a pillar for a gate.
Maybe best to ask a builder for costs. Just wondered from a bike perspective what is most solid, least slippy or mossy etc

Throw down a few paving slabs and you’ll be all set. They are solid as a rock and some times you can get them for free.

well I’ve got block paving on my drive, and it’s good in that it always provides grip under foot when moving my bikes about but bad in the way that I have been lazy in the past in putting down adequate protection when lubricating my chain or changing oils so it is stained in parts which has soaked into the brick and no amount of industrial brick/patio/road cleaner and pressure washing will remove it. My car also has a slow oil leak which is visible on the blockwork.

These are things I can live with, but are worth bearing in mind. My drive is a double drive and I’m under the impression that you’d be looking at a shade over £3k to get that done, but mine came when the house was built in the late 90s so I can’t comment on how accurate that figure is, and will be builder and area dependent as with most things

It’s something you could do yourself if you felt that way inclined. I’ve not done driveways but have done patios. It’s not something that demands a huge amount of skill but getting everything to be right does require good preparation. You must hire a proper compactor if you are doing it yourself, but the cost should be well below what you would be quoted to have someone in to do it. You’ll probably want to spread it over 2 weekends (one to prep, one to lay) or take two days off work + weekend

Thanks for the ideas.
Doubt I’d manage on my own, nobody to help, and I’d need a bricky for the wall anyway

If you’re an electrician, I would be most willing to help

Kind offer thank you. Afraid not.

Had a tricky earth leakage which took my sockets out but found the naughty wire now

let us know what you decide

If you get it done, be sure to add some ground anchors (both for current bikes and future acquisitions!)