Dream Supermoto?

I don’t believe KTMs break a lot, I’ve had over 4000 trouble free miles in 4 months. KTMs are widely used as adventure bikes (both LC8 twins and LC4 singles). The LC8 service interval is 4500 miles or 2 years and the work isnt too difficult, I think the LC4 needs an oil change at 3000 miles which won’t be tricky or expensive. KTM’s are sold as ‘race bikes for the road’ and can be highly strung depending on how race-like the model is, but they’re good quality and pack a lot of punch. You wouldnt be dissapointed with the performance of one. Look after it though. Get yourself to a dealer, have a sit on - they are high so see if you fit OK.

Or one of these might be worth a look… cheaper to run and insure, a cheap as chips secondhand.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/75/250/Motorcycle-Article/2007-BMW-G650-Xmoto-First-Ride.aspx

So, so much great advice here. Thank you all. :smiley:
That BMW g650 is yummy looking, and I hadn’t considered the issues a 21 year old with a new licence would have insuring a ducati. maybe it’s for later on in life :frowning:

I guess I’ll pick a few of these models and take whatever’s priced right :smiley:

Servicing doesn’t actually involve much. And “drinks oil” is a bit misleading - if the motor is properly looked after it shouldn’t use any oil at all between changes. But the frequency of changes might be construed as heavy drinking!

I’ve been riding KTM 520EXC supermotos for nearly 4 years (I’m on my second, first one got nicked). It’s perfect for my needs - all year round commuting, track days, and occasional weekend hooning with fellow nutters. I really don’t feel the need for any other bike, and I certainly wouldn’t want anything less.

Routine maintenance involves changing the oil every 300 to 500 miles (I do mine every 300 because I do a lot of short runs) and filters every 1,000. Seems a bit of a chore but it’s p1ss easy to do and only takes a few minutes - doesn’t bother me and I only have the street for a workshop. The valve clearances also need doing once or twice a year - bit of a faff but not difficult. Beyond that it’s the same as running any other bike.

The main consideration is the nature of your commute - mine is entirely on London streets and I find the 520 (an earlier version of the 525) perfect - very light (110Kg) , very punchy, highly manoeverable - every trip to and from work puts a smile on my face. If your journey is in town and or twisty lanes and B roads then a 520/525 will be a hoot - but that kind of bike is agony for extended straight line work so if it involves much time on motorway or fast A roads then forget it.

That’s a comprehensive guide to ownership there, nice one :cool:

How much does an oil change cost approximately, and same question re: the filters? Just trying to work out if it would be complete financial suicide to do my 220 miles of commuting a week on one…

You only need 1 litre of oil per change, 1.2 when doing filters, but it has to be 100% synthetic - which can cost anything from £5 to £14 per litre depending on which oil and how you buy it - atm I’m using Hein Gericke own brand, bought 12litres on special offer, worked out at less than £4 per - and filters are around £10 per set IIRC. 220 miles a week would mean an oil change every other weekend so could work out quite expensive, depending on how you look at it. I’d try and borrow one for a day and see if you think the experience is worth the extra money! (I know I would ;))

In an ideal world one would need 4 bikes,litre sports,dirt bike,track bike,and drag bike.but with a lack of funds im aiming for a litre bike and a moto,i think i can manage with two:)

Only 4? I have 3 and I think I need 2 or 3 more to complete the set. I have a commuter/naked, tourer/dual sport and a dirt bike. I’d like a 600 supersport and a supermoto, and possibly an oldie too :smiley: