Donating blood

u took your time! lol…

sorry I was off rescuing kittens from trees and arguing with everyone :smiley:

Have you found another forum to argue on ? :P;)

I tried giving blood but they wouldn’t take it because of tablets I take. My Dad has had about 40 units in the past 3 years or so (in conjunction with treatment) and has had a much longer life and managed to do a lot more because of people like you, so thank you all :D:cool:

Actually, he may have had some of yours Toby, he did express an interest in growing a beard after his last few pints :wink:

Gave blood for the first time today! No excuse not to now that there’s a venue near my office (Tower Hill), open at lunchtime.

Do it people!

Good on ya! I am up to 8 pints, had them check the total when I gave the other week. Nice to know that I have now been completely and utterly drained of blood.

Feelling a little light headed,rf dd d
fdfn
dsf
dfgd
o
ogt

:smiley:

I’m a regular doner, which I’m quite proud of (small things) :wink: :)I asked about donating platlets… they laughed… apparently if you’re a fainter, which I am, you cant donate. I think the same applies if you bruise after as well. I’m really bad with the whole fainting thing, think thats why I’m so pleased with myself that I donate blood regularly; I faint at the sight of my own blood, if I have a sudden shock or pain, even if it doesn’t hurt… :slight_smile:

You shouldn’t be worried about donating, the staff (in my experience) have always been really nice and helpful and I think if we’re lucky enough to have abit spare and have had good health to allow us to do so we should. I understand it must be so frustrating for those who want to but cant, because of that I want to continue doing it in case I’m ever in need of some!!! Dont want them running out do we??!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

I try and donate regularly but over the past few years I’ve either had a chest infection or virus when the bus has been in the area.

Having tattoos has also stopped the donations as you can’t do it for about a year after you get the tat…if I remember rightly.

But the first chance I get I’ll be donating. Can’t do the other things due to my condition (Lipoedema).

Platelet donation is mainly dependant on the count of platelets in the blood. During the routine screening of one of my donations it came up a good match and was asked to donate additional samples for further testing. Alas didn’t come up to the required level.

But it does involve you sitting for a couple of hours while they filter the platelets out for the donation.

Just wanted to say

“BIG UP THE DONORS!”

:slight_smile:

Thanks mate could just tuck into a kebab with chilli sauce and garlic mayo. :w00t:

Spent ages typing up a post and the computer messed up :(I’d like to donate, but I need to get some hypnotherapy or something first to sort out my needle phobia. A surgeon has recommended I seek help for it after it took him 45 minutes and having to let my friend into the theater before I would let him inject my toe do an operation on an ingrown toenail. It also takes at least 20 minutes before I’ll let a nurse do a blood test. I can’t help it. I know it’s all in the head, but it’s something I can’t get over on my own.

Am fine with insects, rats, snakes, heights… everything, except needles in a big way… and under water.

I hope my arch nemesis isn’t reading this.

Hopefully I can donate blood if/when I get over my problem. That will be a big achievement for me. At the moment just reading these posts and thinking about it makes me go light-headed and queasy.