Do you replace your helmet as a matter of course?

no more then 5years depending on use may be sooner, but having seen demonstrations on helmet protection testing on helmets that have been used daily for 5-6years by shoei I will not go more then 5years - a lot of the damage isn’t really visible except for the polystyrene inner and lining/straps!

As Pat says, UV rays from the sun weaken the outer shell. Really to store your helmet you should put it back in the bag and store it in a closed cupboard overnight. The inner shell has a roughly similar lifespan.

I think I’ve killed my Nolan N104 after about a year’s daily use now though…feels decidedly tired! Whilst I don’t find this impressive I REALLY want one of those Melandri replica ones above!

I suggest you guys give your old helmets away to the Fire Brigade or London Ambulance Service, so that they can practice the stuff that may the life another biker. Aceman
Is there a 'proper' way of doing that? It seems that just turning up to the fire station with them isn't it.

Every 4/5 years.  I buy Shoei lids and have two.  A Qwest and a Multitec. One for summer riding and for winter riding.  

I suggest you guys give your old helmets away to the Fire Brigade or London Ambulance Service, so that they can practice the stuff that may the life another biker. Aceman
Is there a 'proper' way of doing that? It seems that just turning up to the fire station with them isn't it. Big Red S
It differs so it all depends if the specific fire station want it . I turned up one day, no one was there. Managed to find an e-mail address and asked them if they wanted it. They said they would love it so I gave them two...