DIY Stators

Why not :slight_smile:
Do you have the specs?

yes well ill find out from my bike, ive a K6 GSXR 600, would be good to do away with the lump inside that bike! very impressed with your work there though mate

Thanks mate, very much a prototype. I’ve ordered the wire to make version 2.0. Better insulation round the poles I think, I’d like to dissect a few more blown stators, but I’m fairly convinced that’s the weak spot. They’re powder coated at the factory, but the corners of the poles are sharp 90 degree angles, and I don’t think the coating is nearly as thick at that point. I think heat, and the constant marginal contracting/expansion of the wires and body gradually wear it down. As it gets thinner the arcing starts and it’s game over.

yes, but will it blend?

ps excellent work there!

that’s a bit clever

nice work there mate well done

So:
I’ve been getting CJ to check for continuity between phases and ground after every ride. He reported a dubious reading so I nipped over to pick it up.
It wasn’t a direct short, but it wasn’t showing infinite resistance either, so it needed dissecting.
The silicone tape had always been the most experimental bit of the process, and unsurprisingly it hadn’t stood up to the job.
The Triumph stator case is one of the most inhospitable places on the planet, so more research was needed.
It wasn’t hard to find the problem, after clipping the wires to the pole where I’d used the tape, the test showed that the coil was definitely grounding on the silicone coated pole.
What I was really surprised by was the jb weld. It was virtually impossible to remove. There was no chance of uncoiling the first layer, or even second and third layer of the wires, the weld had it in a vice like grip.
I tried a dremmel on it first which made little impression. I brought out the 4 inch grinder with better success, but it still took about an hour of grinding and swearing to get the coils back off.
It at least gave me a chance to look at the cross section of my coils. Really pleased with that, no major gaps anywhere.

The really interesting thing was that the jb weld held up to the grinder and subsequent intense heat it caused with no problems, but the OEM powder coating cracked and peeled all over the place. I’m more and more convinced that the OEM powder coating is the weak link in the chain.
By comparison, the jb weld had sucked right into the coils and set like concrete. I found I could grind the jb weld down to a less than 0.5mm, and was still stuck to the surface, no flaking or cracking. I had expected to scrape the remnants off with a Stanley blade, but every last bit had to be ground off.

I rang the guys at Brocott who supplied the me with the wire and had a chat with a very knowledgeable chap about a substitute for the silicone tape.
The stuff to use is a laminate, which has a polyester core that makes it incredible resistant to mechanical stress as well as heat. Six quid a sheet, so it’s on its way.
I intend to coat every pole with jb weld to about 0.5mm, then make up some sleeves for each pole from the laminate sheet. The sheet is only 0.36mm, so I reckon Ill get two sleeves on each pole.
So the parts are ordered, more posts to follow when it arrives :smiley:

Woah dude, you really are going at it this time!!! :w00t: Sounds like that stuff isn’t called JB Weld for nothing!! :wink: I look forward to guinea-pigging the results :smiley:

I must add also that I’m impressed with the level of skill and the finish Scorch managed to achieve last time. Once the final coat of JB Weld had been sanded down it looked better than the original, and much sturdier too. I see absolutely no reason why MKII shouldn’t last a good long time if that laminate stuff is sufficient to isolate the coils from the stator body.

I think the JB weld would isolate the coils effectively on its own tbh. Certainly better than the powder coating. It mixes up slightly runny, so I should be able to put quite a smooth coat on each pole. The double sleeve on top of that is going to bullet proof it, but allow for marginal ‘settling’ and movement by virtue of the two layers sliding across each other. The sleeves are apparently made from the same material they make fireproof F1 suits out of :smiley:

Fancy doing one to a gsxr k6 :wink:

No reason why not, I have a bit of time this week. I’d need to order the wire, but assuming we did that early enough this week I could have it rewound for next weekend.