Digged up asbestos yesteday...

As topic says. Was working in my garden to remove the cement based floor of a shed to replace with grass, as i smashed through the stuff with a sledgehammer i came across small pieces of asbestos. Thinking i’ll be alright (and being naive) i took out the asbestos and placed in black tie refuse bags using heavy duty gloves. By the end i filled about 2 bags. Problem is i think i may have indirectly smashed the asbestos before removing it and in the process being exposed to inhaling it.

Upcoming cancer patient?

Sounds like you smashed it pretty directly…

It’s meant to be disposed off in a certain way too…

It's meant to be disposed off in a certain way too..... Curtis
Right now its tied in refuse sacks and will get it removed professionally

I’ve got an ex needing this service too. Any recommendations? :wink:

If your ex’s are like mine I’d use agent orange.

You’ll probably do yourself more damage when it comes to the cost of removing it properly… I do hope none is under my shed when I come to remove it…

Are you sure it was asbestos?

Was it in a cast concrete slab or in some kind of sheet material?

Essex County Council will remove small amounts of asbestos free of charge via their nominated asbestos removal company. They define small amounts as two items or two bags per year and it needs to be double wrapped and sealed. When we got them to collect the asbestos vent pipe removed from our redundant cesspit it took them about 3 months but they eventually got a round tuit

Not too helpful if you don’t live in Essex but I’m sure your local council will operate a similar scheme otherwise folk would be burying their unwanted asbestos willy nilly everywhere and anywhere including beneath their garden sheds, outrageous!

Check with your local council :wink:

Eurolag kart asbestos away, I don’t know how much they charge though.

My uncle died of asbestosis…

Mate get checked ASAP, it’s a serious thing this and may not arise for years to come but best to be safe than sorry.

Mate get checked ASAP, it's a serious thing this and may not arise for years to come but best to be safe than sorry. JAX
tbh, not sure if people are being joval on this thread. I wouldn't worry about a small amount, especially it was outside. 
http://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/substances/asbestos/asbestos-fact-sheet

my stepdad used to have snowball fights with asbestos when he was an apprentice… still around now… and smoking like a chimney

The risk is prolonged exposure to airborne asbestos fibres, I fail to see how exposure for a day or two would be a problem.

Check your local council for a free collection service.

Asbestos protecting his lungs then

Mate get checked ASAP, it's a serious thing this and may not arise for years to come but best to be safe than sorry. JAX
I will definitely bring it up to my GP, but doubtful that anything just yet.

@Azbero i love listening to your words. thank you <3

My ex-father-in-law has recently been diagnosed with mesothelioma, a nasty asbestos-specific lung cancer which he must have picked up during his years as a carpenter in the building trade. Take no chances, it’s evil.

The risk is prolonged exposure to airborne asbestos fibres, I fail to see how exposure for a day or two would be a problem.

Check your local council for a free collection service.

National Treasure
Agreed... don't ya'll go crazy now, you need extended exposure for some serious damage