Deliveroo takes steps to protect workers from violence

I saw this on the BBC and thought you should see it:

Deliveroo takes steps to protect workers from violence - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40805224

They were giving advice what to do in a acid attack this morning. Great time to be alive.

helmet cameras? what good do they expect that to do when all their faces are covered?

helmet cameras? what good do they expect that to do when all their faces are covered?
me_groovy
If they are wearing distinctive clothing it can all help with the identification linking other crimes together.

Taking a step back, it seems that criminals who would previously use guns or knives to threaten / intimidate are now choosing acid as a weapon. So it seems clear we need our politicians to increase punishments / introduce laws that treat carrying acids the same as carrying knives.

Then let the pllice do their job. Seems at present that if they caught someone carrying acid, what can do about it under present laws?

...Then let the police do their job. Seems at present that if they caught someone carrying acid, what can do about it under present laws? bluelagos

I know the answer to that one bluelagos.  It would be classed as an “offensive weapon” and the statute for it is Section 1 Prevention Of Crime Act 1953 which states “Any person who without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, the proof whereof shall lie on him, has with him any offensive weapon in any public place shall be guilty of an offence.”  The definition of an offensive weapon is “Any article, which is made or adapted for use for causing injury to the person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use by him or by some other person.”  In the case of acid in a bottle, it would be an “intended” weapon.  

...Then let the police do their job. Seems at present that if they caught someone carrying acid, what can do about it under present laws? bluelagos
I know the answer to that one bluelagos.  It would be classed as an "offensive weapon" and the statute for it is Section 1 Prevention Of Crime Act 1953 which states “Any person who without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, the proof whereof shall lie on him, has with him any offensive weapon in any public place shall be guilty of an offence.”  The definition of an offensive weapon is "Any article, which is made or adapted for use for causing injury to the person, or intended by the person having it with him for such use by him or by some other person."  In the case of acid in a bottle, it would be an "intended" weapon.
Aceman
So the police already have the powers to deal with it.    So something's going horribly wrong then.    Lack of resourcing?   Fear of comeback (if they chase and fck it up) ?   Low priority?   

To add to my post above:

The burden of proof lies with the person carrying the bottle of acid, as to why they have it in a public place.  This is not a case of innocent until proved guilty.

are now choosing acid as a weapon.
An assault with acid is already GBH which carries very serious lengthy custodial sentences.

We just need more cops on the streets doing what cops need to do.

Fixed

And the courts need to give the right sentences. Even to young uns.

Fuck em give them 10 years minimum. They’ll probably get out after 6 months. So have 9.5 years suspended for when they commit the next crime.

Wouldn’t a visor protect your face from acid?

Same shit as Rudd and her war on encryption. Funding community policing works, adding more information to the sea doesn’t as there isn’t anyone to deal with it.

It’ll help but what about the vents on top.

I ride with my visor down most of the time… but that’s because I’m an ugly Cnut :rofl:

Some news on the acid topic: