Dear L-Platers (particularly young chavs on R125s in tracksuits and trainers)

Hahaha, so you used to be a bit of a knob yourself :w00t::rolleyes: Looks like you have wisened up though, which is good – will makes you live longer I guess :slight_smile:

What really transpired to me since I first posted (and I thought about this a fair bit) is that usually we tend to slag off cagers and cyclist to no end for the way they behave, but since the weather turned better and there is more of us on the road now, I see much more aggressiveness and selfishness in bikers/scooter riders than in any other road user. It really pisses me off!

I just wish riders would take a bit more of a cautious approach, look at their own riding more often and not think they own the road and have priority all the time. Bullying people out of the way just because you can and overtaking/undertaking dangerously is stupid and selfish. Besides that, you’ll not get to your destination quicker – all you do is become a hazard, add to people’s stress levels and burn a lot of expensive fuel unnecessarily!

Wth regards to L-Plates – how can we give someone a license to ride a PWT with no knowledge of the highway code and less than a days rider’s training? It’s beyond me, sorry…

Having spent a lot of time on the A2 recently, particularly during the morning rush hour I get to see literally hundreds of bikes go past.

The vast majority of 50-1300cc riders are dressed head to toe in bike gear and filter sensibly through the traffic. However there is a
small minority that in the warm weather, wear what I call safety T-Shirts, shorts even flip-flops god help them. Now I don’t know if they
have ever seen the consequences of what tarmac does to skin at even 20mph, it’s not a very pretty sight and does take an awful long
time to heal.

Some of this minority appear to have a death wish, as filtering through people in ‘cages’ at 30,40 even 50mph when they
have zero chance to avoid a car deciding to change lanes without indication is madness. Do they not realise that the ‘cage’ driver is
half asleep, or putting that last bit of mascara on or trying to get the lid off the Costa coffee to put the sugar in.

Next is the rider who likes to rev the bollocks out of the bike when a ‘cage’ blocks his path, maybe on purpose but probably not. Why do it!
Yes there are the GS lords of the road, they do look majestic as they sail past with the sun glinting off the top box but most are good riders
as filtering on them is not easy.

Why have I posted this, maybe to say that on two as well as four wheels there are the good, the bad, and the down right awful.

I think you’ll find that some of the problem is the CBT is not enough to make you safe, nowhere near enough… some of these kids have never had a driving lesson, and a quick lesson on T junctions and roundabouts is pointless, you get out there and learn on your own. It takes about 4 hours minimum of junctions and roundabouts to just be ok on them. not even a good standard for most people.

the lack of safety gear comes from either feeling like a twat getting leathered up on a 125 or lack of understanding at what’ll happen to your skin if you come off. :slight_smile: each to his own.

Mollycoddle and its a nanny state. Otherwise its freedom.

Which would you prefer?

Folks generally have some semblance of a brain and some degree of self preservation. Thats enough. If one wants more training they’ll go get it. Otherwise learn in the wild. Ultimately thats what we all do.