DE-CAT 05/R1

On the weekend I took the exhaust and Y-pipe off my bike and punched the CAT out with a long screw driver.

After giving the bike some stick popin wheelies I have found it has really released some power in the midrange and got more responsiveness, I thought I would share this with everyone as its a cheap way of getting more power for free !

This only really applies to new bikes as I don’t think older bikes have CATS.

Check the link below for what these other guys think

http://www.sportbikes.ws/showthread.php?t=65066

Yep - CATS (not the ones that Bike2travel is loved up with!) are part of the package that the manufacturers are forced to fit to get the bikes through ever tightning emisions regs.

The cat and std cans on my sooperdook really strangle it.

Other methods used are air-box restrictions and running the bike rich at certain RPM’s. (I’m sure one of our resident mechanics could shed a bit more light on that one.)

Akras pete you know you must…

Anyone got any more suggestion then ? as I am probably not gonna keep the bike so don’t wanna spend loads of money.

might take it down to dyno developements though but can they setup my bike without putting a power commander in it ?

I spoke to a guy in a shop the other day who told me Yoshi do a programmable ignition box [for something like £75] that will do all a PowerCommander does because the latest bikes ignitions allow extra adjustments that working with the Yoshi box gives all the adjustments a PowerCommander does . . . . and he rated TRE ignition advancers - which a lot of people claim do little or nothing

Anybody know anything more on this ?

Does my K5 have a cat ? Is it safe from Cezar ?

The TRE “dongle” that is sold for Suzuki’s just fools the gear selection sensor into thinking that the bike is in (can’t remember if it’s) 4th or 5th gear.

The thinking is that it it prevents any “detune” present in the stock mapping in 1st and 2nd, and stops the speed restriction in 6th.

Do they do a true ignition advancer. or is this what he meant?

Pete! That avatar of yours … I can’t read any post you are in mate! My eyes refuse to leave your avatar… What’s wrong with me? Or it’s not only me?

I understand fella - the supermoto is stunning!

Cezar, it seems you have spanked Pete’s rather magnificent new botty avatar so hard his bandwith has exploded, no doubt it is “all the cat’s fault” . . .

“The TRE “dongle” that is sold for Suzuki’s just fools the gear selection sensor into thinking that the bike is in (can’t remember if it’s) 4th or 5th gear.
The thinking is that it it prevents any “detune” present in the stock mapping in 1st and 2nd, and stops the speed restriction in 6th.”

Yes, the TRE sticks the ECU into 4th gear map, sadly also jamming the nice digi indicator on the dash to 4th…some people reckon the unlimited 1st & 2and makes a noticeable difference, others, none. The only consistent thing is that I hear a differing story every time…maybe some advance the ignition as well thereby explaining some of the differing opinions.

“Do they do a true ignition advancer. or is this what he meant?”

I think he was talking crap myself, thats why I was asking…there is a yoshi box on Crescent site :

Fuel Injection Adjuster
Part Code: 0000A-D1320

Advanced fuel management system.
Price: £325.00

No prizes for spotting it costs £250 more than I was told, these people, [main Suzuki agents] also told me a gsxr1000K4 was very different to a K3 and that the K5 was very cramped and gutless compared to a K4. Obvioulsy the pile of unsold 1000K4’s sitting in the showroom did not affect their judgement at all.

The unit that Crescent sell is the proper tuners adjusting device, it’s not designed to be fitted to any one bike, it’s a device for changing the FI map simply. It’s a cheap-mans Power Commander in effect. Most tuning shops offer a map using this device for about £50. I’ve used it before, it’s good, nearly as good as a Power Commander tuning session for most road riders.

No self-respecting tuner would tell you to fit a TRE either, they’re a hack, completely crap and most times don’t give you a discernable difference. They also mean you can’t get a proper Power Commander tune as you’re only using one map, instead of one for each gear. Your fuel-economy will also suffer.

Go for a remap, or a Power Commander, it’s the best way.

Kao5, that TRE dongle? … Don’t Muzzy’s do a similar thing? … they do one for the ZX12R (Muzzy’s Bonneville Box), which fools the ECU into thinking it’s always below 186MPH.

Yes, the TRE dongle is availably in a wide variety of guises and brands, even homemade versions on Ebay you have to solder into the wiring loom…as Jay says, not widley liked, seemingly sold as pub banter/bragging black box rather than a genuine performance aid. The speedo “top speed restriction” seems to be just the indicated top speed not a [obvious] ignition cutout.

jay, you are right, the Yoshi box does exist, but is far cruder than a PowerCommmander - it alters fueling in 1,000RPM increments, the PowerCommmander takes 5 samples per 1RPM, so gives a finer response.

Is Crescent the best place to go for the setup ? They are expensive but do know Suzukis

Is it worth getting the PC from ebay first & saving £100 odd ?

My Suzi is going to SDC performance in Stevenage for some PC work. We are now allowed them on the race bikes where last season a Yoshi box was as far as you could go.

SDC are on 01438-357777. Gary is my contact there. He may be able to advise you of the best way forward and he can certainly map the PC’s.