Daytona 900 complete loss of power?

My housemate tried to start his Daytona this morning. The dash lit
up, clock needles started moving, then everything went off (as if the
ignition was switched off again), and the bike’s been electrically dead
since. It ran fine yesterday.

There is

• 12V+ at the battery
  • continuity across all the fuses (under the seat, in the tail unit)
  • 0V at any of the fuses (with the ignition on) compared to the battery -ve terminal
  • 0V at any contact on the ignition switch's connector

So it seems something’s pretty convincingly broken the circuit
between the battery +ve terminal and the main fuse (in the fuse box); is
there an extra fuse hidden under the seat/battery tray somewhere? I
expected something on or near the starter relay, but couldn’t
immediately find that - we had a poke around and couldn’t see anything
obvious, but haven’t done any dismantling. Has anyone had one of these
and know what’s probably happened?

How frustrating’s my evening likely to be? :slight_smile:

have you located the main fuse out of the fuses you know of?

is this helpful?

oh, wrong daytona I think I have there. try this one: there’s no extra main fuse from what I can see, page 378: http://www.triumphriders.nl/FoldersPDF/Daytona_900-1200_(1993-1997)Service_Manual(eng).pdf

but there’s an extra fuse to the brake light?

Haha, I think I preferred the first one, having seen the wiring diagram on the 2nd (page 384 for the curious).

But, yeah, the fuse box under the seat has a fuse labelled “main” which is a 30A jobbie, so there’s probably no need for another one, this just seems a bit too absolute for anything else.

Start simple. Check for continuity across the fuses, even if they look good they could be stuffed. That’s caught me out once or twice. Then check kill switches. After that and being a Triumph burn it, burn it with fire.

Get a MotoBatt battery. Sorted the one that I bought from BurgerMan out.  Started on the button and was lovely!

Have you got this sorted?

Wiring diagram p384 refers - there is an inline fuse (48) that appears to power the engine stop/start switch (19) via a yellow wire, that’s probably worth looking at. Where it is I haven’t a clue. Note too the brown wire on the other side of inline fuse (48) also goes to the alternator!

Sort-of sorted :slight_smile:

We got back to it and the bike Just Worked.

Some further investigation suggested that if we started the bike and then turned the headlights on, it’d die (no electrics, no 12V anywhere).

If we waited a bit and then turned it on again, it’d work, though. Sometimes we’d need to wait 30s, other times a minute or so. Each time, turning the headlights on ‘broke’ it again, and each time just waiting fixed it (regardless of the ignition switch being off or on).

Reliably, it seems to not-happen with the right hand headlight bulb unplugged.

So, there’s two things:

• There seems to be a safety circuit of some sort, that kills all power and then eventually resets itself. I can’t think what that is or where it is but I’ve not had a proper go at the manual.

• There’s a short or loose connection somewhere in the loom up near the headlights, that we ought to find.

so, I need to find someone who owes me a motorbike electrics sort of favour…

if only you had a brother who was good with DC electrics

If the lights and one of the kill switches, possibly side stand, meet at a similar location on the loom, say the left side under the tank… You might find it’s filthy and causing a short. I’ve seen similar on at least three different bikes. Connection gets wet then gets dried out by the heat of the engine and you get a build up of lime scale and the like.

if only you had a brother who was good with DC electrics
me_groovy
And one who's looking to get someone else to replace a headset in return for some elctrickery... :)

If the lights and one of the kill switches, possibly side stand, meet at a similar location on the loom, say the left side under the tank... You might find it's filthy and causing a short. I've seen similar on at least three different bikes. Connection gets wet then gets dried out by the heat of the engine and you get a build up of lime scale and the like.
TimmyFox
I don't think iI's got anything to do with the safety circuit, since it's not behaving as if one of those switches is open. He's riding it around this week with one headlight bulb in it, though, and if that's problem free (so far so good) then I think we've narrowed it down to a relatively small part of the loom :)

ahhh…you really want to get Scorch on this one… this is pretty much how he learned how to fix bikes, by necessity :smiley: