cyclists - the big question

according to the news this morning, 2000 police officers will be on the streets today policing law breaking lorrie drivers and cyclists, as a reault of the recent spate of trajic deaths.

So another one died last night.

10 in 2 weeks. Why the sudden increase? Clocks changing anything to do with it? (besides the obvious points mentioned about training and all that)

Is there a general increase in accidents this time of the year?

In the last couple of weeks as its been getting darker, I have thought the standard of driving has deteriorated. I couldn’t helping thinking that drivers were still adjusting their driving styles from day to night time, force of habit and all that.

I’ve seen an increase of stupid. With sudden lane changes a plenty etc, far more than usual.

Maybe my hunch was right.

for years it has been argued that clocks should not be going back and should be on european time …yet year after year they wont change it

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/438974/Daylight-Saving-reform-would-save-lives-says-charity-as-UK-prepares-to-turn-clocks-back

Boris Johnson considers ban on London cyclists wearing headphonesLondon mayor’s comments follow deaths of six cyclists on the capital’s streets in the last two weeksSpeaking on BBC London radio, Johnson said headphones were an “absolute scourge” and it was “absolutely nuts” to wear them while cycling

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/19/boris-johnson-considers-banning-cyclists-headphones

Every year, the week after the clocks go back, I always have to remind a couple of drivers a day that they’re driving round in the dark with no lights on. Worrying that they’re not even paying enough attention to notice that they can’t see stuff out the windscreen. Dopey feckers.

Police out in force along CS7 the last couple of days stopping anybody for anything - watch out for ASL breaches etc as I think they’re handing out tickets for it rather than just warnings they were doing previously.

in another smart move, mr Johnson is considering banning people from wearing headphones instead of considering not having lorries around from 9 till 6 in centre towns, as he reckons the european way doesnt help with this issue.

the plot thickens…:crazy:

What a brilliant idea… lets do all development work at night, neighbours will appreciate that.

R

after 6pm or before 9am is perfectly achievable and not in the middle of the night. smartarse. :smiley:

I’ve got a better idea.

What about no four or more-wheeled traffic at all for half an hour in the morning and half an hour in the evening.

that would have the added bonus of allowing car drivers to pull over and do their hair/play with their phone/spend some quality time with their kids …while the rest of us get to work in peace.

Genius, even if I say so myself! :smiley:

Wouldn’t disagree with a ban on HGV’s between the hours of 7:30am to 9am and 5pm to 6:30pm

I like the idea of a ban of HGV’s but i just don’t think it’s a workable solution at all.

I think they should do what they can now but don’t do a knee jerk reaction and bring in rules/laws that’s unworkable, Instead take a long term view and get cycle training in at grass roots level. Even part of the curriculum at school. Ensure that all school leavers know the highway code by heart. The highway code is not just for motorists, bikes, cyclists…it’s for pedestrians as well and that’s ALL of us.

No HGVs between those hours would be a major problem for the construction industry and I’m sure plenty of other industries as well. That would essentially mean no concrete on site before 10am or after 3:30pm for us and it’s not like you can get it delivered the day before.

It’s not impossible but it would require a major rethink of how work is done, how long buildings take (and therefore how much they cost), I suspect the financial considerations would override any safety issues.

…let’s be honest it’s rare to see a contractor on site after 3.30pm…:Whistling:

Honestly, why always have to be someone else to give a: way, space, anything (ban HGV).
Start from cyclist itself, when this will be sorted than you may think about banning or giving more space options.

R

20 years ago, when I was a steel erector, our wagons used to drive through the night from Birmingham, with an aim to reach central London by 5.00am. We used to meet them on site, get them unloaded, then send them on their way at about 7am against the flow of incoming traffic. Don’t they do that anymore then?

Cant comment on the operational logistics of the construction industry but I often see tipper lorries exiting the site near Mansion house. Also queued up at the top of High Holburn near Infinity, ready to go around to the Crossrail at Tottenham court Rd.
I suspect, like most industries in London nowadays, it is a 24hr operation.
I saw an interesting stat this morning though.
Chief superintendent Glyn Jones, said half of all cyclists killed on London’s roads since January 2010 have been going down the inside of lorries, adding: “They may well have the right to be there but the fact is it is a dangerous manoeuvre.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/police-blitz-on-drivers-bikes-and-hgvs-to-tackle-appalling-litany-of-cycling-deaths-8949207.html

Generally central London sites will have a section 60 agreement of some sort, basically banning (or seriously restricting) work before 7 or 8am and after 6 or 7pm. There are exceptions by arrangement (we workd 24hrs on the shard but generally in enclosed areas that was reasonably quiet from outside site) if you have residential neighbours then it’s difficult.

If we opened the gates and unloaded vehicles at 5am we’d be innundated with complaints to the council.

Times have changed I guess … Back then the haulage contractors would have refused to deliver after 6am to avoid the congestion later on. Mind you, we also used to make sure we hit the m25 before 7.30 to avoid the rush hour. It’s often a car park by 6am these days. :crazy:

We do a delivery to Wanstead around 9pm each night. A woman in the flats above rings to complain 2 or 3 times a WEEK as she is already in bed. This has been going on for months. I suspect she’s not in favour of more deliveries being done at night. We’re thinking of inviting her to our xmas party :smiley: