cyclists don't really want to 'share' roads with others then

London cyclists are whinging about loads of joggers on their Super Highway.

The irony of many of their gripes, is that they are
imposing exactly the same things on drivers whilst demanding to ‘share’ roads
only when it suits them it seems.

Any of this sound familiar?

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/cycle-superhighway-on-victoria-embankment-being-overrun-with-joggers-a3218831.html

They’re not imposing or demanding anything; cars and bicyles have equal right to use the road. That said, if joggers are clogging up the cycle routes, cyclists will just go back to using the road again.

Good to see taxi drivers celebrating it by tweeting whilst driving as well…

As much as i hate to agree with cyclists, i think their point is valid - i don’t see any reason why joggers should be using dedicated cycle lanes. But to answer your question, yes it does sound familiar :frowning:

Pedestrians have right of way over all vehicles on the road at all times (except the motorway)
Get over it.
Did make me giggle though, cyclists complaining about people running three abreast!

I’ve cycled parts of that new route. It’s not bad and I’ve ridden that route on a motorbike and there still seems like there’s places to filter… so don’t have issues with that… however I would hate to have to dodge all those joggers :confused:

I’m not sure what those routes are like day to day, but those joggers seem a bit dumb considering there is a pavement next to them. Additionally a lot of cyclists will be doing at least 15mph, so dodging them would be annoying. I imagine it isn’t like this at peak hours? Thankfully I don’t have one of these silly routes near me so can stick to bus lanes and roads which are more than adequate :slight_smile:

I go that way every day - its ok, filtering is possible as the lanes are quite wide even if like me you don’t want to break the solid double white line. 

I’ve actually seen a cyclist have an argument with two runners in the cycle lane - although at that point it was even open.

Last time I came in via Mile End road, there were tonne’s of cyclists not using the super highway. The cycle highway was full of slower cyclists and boris bikers, and all the faster lycra-core cyclists were just using the main road to get past them. Which in turn made it difficult for the rest of the traffic. Especially at any breaks in the kerbed reservation between cycle-highway and road, as you never knew if a pile of lyrca-core would suddenly pull out into you, with ever a lifer saver shoulder check, of course.

Clearly the root of the problem is a lack of proper pedestrian infrastructure.  Whatever, the general consensus amongst cyclists is that accidents between cyclists and pedestrians are so incredibly rare as to be completely negligible.  Also, the less vulnerable road user is responsible for the safety of the more vulnerable, so no worries.

" … once they are fully open, the volumes of cyclists on them will mean there is little or no attraction for joggers in using them."

Uh huh …   :-)

What he said^^^

Once the amount of cyclists outnumber the tourists on embankment this will all settle.

Clearly the root of the problem is a lack of proper pedestrian infrastructure.  Whatever, the general consensus amongst cyclists is that accidents between cyclists and pedestrians are so incredibly rare as to be completely negligible.  Also, the less vulnerable road user is responsible for the safety of the more vulnerable, so no worries.

" … once they are fully open, the volumes of cyclists on them will mean there is little or no attraction for joggers in using them."

Uh huh …   :-)

Zeppo

I would say the main problem is London is an old city & has been around since the roman times & anything you try to introduce into it will cause problems for others

it always amazes me how planners think & how they use (or don’t as in many cases) logic

you cant reinvent the wheel

I don’t think TfL planners have much of an issue making things worse for private motorists in the city - it’s something they need to see less of anyway. Isn’t London exceeding all kinds of pollution limits at the moment?

I don't think TfL planners have much of an issue making things worse for private motorists in the city - it's something they need to see less of anyway. Isn't London exceeding all kinds of pollution limits at the moment? monkimark
Doesn't look that bad.

http://waqi.info/

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/jan/08/london-takes-just-one-week-to-breach-annual-air-pollution-limits

The air quality in Lewisham seems to be worse than pretty much anywhere else in Western Europe. That’s not something to shout about.

oh lord I hope the mayor don’t get wind of this or he will tear even more of London’s roads up to make running tracks alongside the cycle lane  

Genuine laugh out loud

London cyclists are whinging about loads of joggers on their Super Highway.
I don't think that's the case at all, I think most cyclists welcome other vulnerable users having the safety of the new segregated lanes. The taxi drivers tried to make a mountain out of a molehill when they photographed a mobility scooter user in a cycleway near Tower Hill. They jokingly entitled it "here comes Madge". But the unanimous feeling among cycle campaigners was they welcome 'Madge' in the cycleways and are very happy for her and other mobility scooter users.
I think most cyclists welcome other vulnerable users having the safety of the new segregated lanes. Michael748
You are Oliver Schick AICMFP.

Went cycling today and didn’t want to share the cycle lane with drunk pedestrians. Seems fair.