Cycle Superhighways make traffic worse in the City, report reveals

No shit, Sherlock! Shame it won’t result in anything though.

I thought it was taken as given from the start that this was all about prioritising cyclists, and so it would make cycling easier, faster and safer at the expense of the convenience of the motor vehicles? Making driving in London attractive has long since stopped being anybody’s priority.

What next? Diving off a 200 metre building is bad for your health shock?

Winters coming - my uneducated guess is that only 10% of summer cyclists will be riding in November,  December, January or February, they’ll be all tucked up and cosy on buses, the tube and gasp taxis and double gasp private cars!!!

They had better not,for shame, complain about the traffic if they use the roads!

We’ll be able to stop and play quick 5-a-side games on the cycle highway then, there will be that few cyclists.

Don’t forget to bring a ball!

Could be worse we could live in Africa then we would have something to moan about :+1:

I remember the days before the cyle superhighway, miles and miles of free flowing traffic through the city, no congestion, it was bliss.

Oh no wait…

Yeah back in 1962…

Of course it wasn’t perfect before - you’d have to be daft to think that…

But I now see traffic jams on main routes at 4.30 in the morning as the light traffic has to squeeze past totally empty cycle lanes…

Never saw that before…

Of course, four lanes reduced to two.  Off course it will impact on traffic and make it worse, no one given a choice wants to drive in London.

Bear in mind this report is written blaming traffic problems in The City on cycle superhighways rather than badly managed road closures etc. few points to note:

The city isn’t exactly criss-crossed by cycle lanes, I think it’s just the one that goes over Blackfriars bridge (right outside my current site as it happens) http://www.toadworld.co.uk/cycle-superhighways-in-london/

There were a large number of road closures this year, the highest since 2008 apparently so extracting what was due to cycling and what was due to roadworks would be next to impossible

The organisation who wrote the report blaming cycle superhighways is also to some extent responsible for organising/approving the roadworks/closures

Well I suppose nobody would vote for road closures because the benefits are hidden until your sewerage backs up, or your water stops running. your phone and IT goes dead, your Tube grinds to a halt or your lights go out.

But cycling is an easy vote winner and I think the pendulum has swung too far with over provision of exclusive lanes at the expense of all other traffic that are very lightly used in the winter or when it’s raining and effectivly not used at all between 10pm and 6am overnight.

I thought it was taken as given from the start that this was all about prioritising cyclists, and so it would make cycling easier, faster and safer at the expense of the convenience of the motor vehicles? Making driving in London attractive has long since stopped being anybody's priority.
Big Red S
Tell you what mate, that bull as well.

I used the “super highway” a couple of times and it added 15 minutes to my ride time!.. which almost add’s 50% for me so complete waste of freakin’ time. Plus I do not feel any safer.

Could be worse we could live in Africa then we would have something to moan about 👍 Ricky Lake Fanatic
What the f*ck is wrong with living in Africa?  

Er Genocide? Highest population of HIV in the world?
Robert Mugabe?

nothing, africa is beautiful.  its the population i cant stand. 

[quote] Could be worse we could live in Africa then we would have something to moan about 👍 Ricky Lake FanaticWhat the f*ck is wrong with living in Africa?   --- bluelagos [/quote]

Er Genocide? Highest population of HIV in the world?
Robert Mugabe?

Ricky Lake Fanatic
Yeah, cos that's a really accurate representation of what life is like living in Africa.   

Oh so that doesn’t happen then?
You must be from South Africa :south_africa: in the rich area…

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-stats/crime-statistics/year-ending-june-2015/stb-crime--ye-june-2015.html

Wow - you can use the internet to find statistics to support your prejudiced views about Africa.   Well done.   

Ha predjudiced ha Sorry I totally agree Africa in comparison to the UK is far safer to live with a lower crime rate and it’s far superior in it’s approach to political stability.