Cycle superhighway plan for London's A40 Westway

Cycle superhighway plan for London’s A40 Westway - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35519973

The additional cycle lane looks good but I find all the other measures completely half arsed. In particular ASL boxes infuriate me. They just put cyclists in more danger. It’s telling that they don’t have any in Holland at all. If a cycle lane is along side other traffic before a set of traffic lights it remains a normal lane and cyclists queue up within it like normal traffic.

Oh dear.

I wonder if Boris’ successor will continue with this, or if it will get canned.

Oh dear.

I wonder if Boris’ successor will continue with this, or if it will get canned.

hogtrumpet
I hope not. Boris himself is a cyclist and brings with him alot of bias when planning these crazy projects.
The additional cycle lane looks good but I find all the other measures completely half arsed. In particular ASL boxes infuriate me. They just put cyclists in more danger. It's telling that they don't have any in Holland at all. If a cycle lane is along side other traffic before a set of traffic lights it remains a normal lane and cyclists queue up within it like normal traffic. Joby
One of the problems they're supposed to be a part solution to is drivers' unawareness of cyclists; the thinking is that if you put all the cyclists in front of the rest of the traffic then the drivers cannot possibly help but see the cyclists, and probably wont just drive straight into them in the same way as they've a habit of steering into them. 

I thought the thinking was in fact that ASLs would allow cycles to reposition themselves safely to turn right etc., and also to keep themselves clear of cars while they get a wobble on pulling away on the green light.  Sadly it’s turned by custom and practice into a traffic calming competition, with rows of them across all lanes presenting to the road users behind like cats on heat, whilst the more athletic types use them as an arena to show off their track-standing skills.

Well, a few benefits were mooted when they were introduced; one was that they’d calm down traffic light GPs by making everyone pull away at the speed of a cyclist.

Why do we pander to them?

I look forward to months of delays while they put that it. Jesus wept.

^^^ months??? as if…years probably.  lets hope the douche doesnt get re-elected.  or gets run over, ideally both.

The additional cycle lane looks good but I find all the other measures completely half arsed. In particular ASL boxes infuriate me. They just put cyclists in more danger. It's telling that they don't have any in Holland at all. If a cycle lane is along side other traffic before a set of traffic lights it remains a normal lane and cyclists queue up within it like normal traffic. Joby
Being alongside traffic is exactly where you don't want to be at a left turn if you're a cyclist.