Cut & paste question regarding roll call

Mainly for Jay, yet I’m sure other techies may know too.

Sometimes when I’m suing cut & paste for the roll call, it comes out like this:

Abzero
Aceman
Acemans Cat
AndyCr15
Arfa
Bang2Rights
banman
BigD
Big Red S
Bikergirl_400 
Blade
bluelagos
BobbyR1
Boris
brains_t
Cactus
ChrisB
Changyammi
Curtis
Cypher
DangerousB
Eezie
Geoff B
Ginger
GSXRAng
Hannibal
h-magic-Welcome to the roll call!
hogtrumpet
IanWilliamson
IMORTAL_Indian
Ironman
Jaime
Janey
Jay
JAX
JesteR6
Jetstream
Kevsta
KTM D
makman
Marmablade
me_groovy
Michael
Miggy
mole
Motodrb
nails
National Treasures
Nic
nivag aka sand king
Panagiotis
Pricetta
Rixxy
Rosso
Rusty99
Scorch
SeanV4
Shaunicous
SilveR6
Slacker
Slan
Stevie78
Streetdouble
Stuart Fordyce
Szymon
Tcat
TDJ
Tiggi
TimR
The Sleeper
TimmyFox 
TheUnforgiven
Toony
Treacle Bejesus
Triang Ross
Serrisan
Tromboman
VelcroHead
Von
Westie
Whereisgibson
WildBoy
Win98se
Wise
Yourebarred
Zander
Zine

So I post it anyway, in this format, then go to another roll call, and cut & paste again, until I find one that works.  This happens on my home pc, running Windows & Ultimate 64 bit, and on my Android mobile too.  Am I doing something wrong?  Is there something else I should be doing?

when you copy text windows actually copies it in a number of formats; the input box seems to paste the wrong format and interpret it incorrectly. If you open notepad, paste to their (will pulls the plain text version) and recopy it works fine. It the RTF text box I believe that causes the issues.

At least you make the list :weary:

You snooze you lose Red!

Serrisan keeps reverting into the T’s. Other fixes get lost. Theres cat fights. Where’s the quality gone?

I think it’s the cutting and pasting loses the carriage returns as they’re not “read” by the forum when pasting. 

IIRC, the text box isn’t finished.

But it is a little strange, if you copy the text from a post that’s already been made, and paste it in, it preserves the newlines. If you copy text from the textbox itself and paste it into a new one, it only preserves double-newlines; single newlines are removed.

I don’t understand rich text or the web enough to have any idea why it’s doing that, though :frowning:

Difference between a new line and a new paragraph. For dynamic layouts you might have text on two lines but if you expand the window it should be on a single line. Yes it’s basically the input box reading the input incorrectly - I’m sure Jay has biggest things on the list first though.

Yeah, I get that it makes sense to do one, and it also makes sense to do the other. The bit that doesn’t make sense to me is that it behaves differently when copying from the text box to when copying from anywhere else. 

But I don’t imagine sorting out the nuances of text-input on a forum is particularly high up Jay’s todo list :slight_smile:

Clipboard formats; the text box looks first for formatted data in the clipboard (which it subsequently interprets incorrectly) . notepad will put plain text on the clipboard - so it’ll import using a different mechanism.

It’s not you Aceman, it’s a problem with the text box. I need to spend a little time sort this out. Sorry.

The bit that doesn't make sense to me is that it behaves differently when copying from the text box to when copying from anywhere else. 
Big Red S
When you enter something into the edit box it inserts it into the page as HTML, which is then rendered for display.

I believe it depends on browser and or OS, but when you copy from the text box the OS it may copy the contents of it as plain text or basic HTML formatting, but when you copy directly from the page it will  instead take a copy of the browser’s rendered formatting.

I am not sure what fluid design has to do with any of it though.  An OS will only copy content in one format to the pasteboard or clipboard, but then format it as appropriate for whatever it is pasted into.

The issue with newlines disappearing though is that in HTML a newline is rendered with a tag for a carriage return, that tag for all intents is a character.  But a carriage return character does not create a new line, at least not since 2001 and the last release of Mac OS 9, and any modern OS will just render them as a space.

So when pasting into the edit box, the conversion between the pasteboard’s internal rich text format and whatever is required for the edit box is causing that conversion to take place, effectively striping them out.

Something along those lines.

An OS will only copy content in one format to the pasteboard or clipboard, but then format it as appropriate for whatever it is pasted into.
Not really. For Windows (I've not done any GUI work on Linux or Apple (more a server side guy)); you can copy content in multiple formats (i.e you can copy both an Image, and the alt text, or plain text, rtf & html) The receiving application needs to choose the appropriate format for its own needs. The OS will not do any conversion as its not its job. 

The point about the dynamic layout; is why HTML ignores newlines and instead uses <p> & explicit <br>. Since the format is tagged and not wysiwyg

Forget the stuff about carriage returns, it is not an explicit carriage return, but for the effect is the same though in terms of how the OS renders them.   I think I must have been tired and got confused between “br” and “cr” which made the behaviour all make sense.

As to the clipboard, if Windows does it that way it seems a very inefficient system but it has the same result: a single piece of content goes in, and a single piece of content in a specific format comes out.  

Whether it just stores one version, and converts to the appropriate one as required when pasting, or that it converts that piece of content into different formats and stores them all, then just selects the appropriate one when pasting, the overall effect is the same.

At least you make the list 😩 Redwez
Me nice.  Me put you on the list.  You owe me catnip.

Meow purrr purrr

Oh hell no. Don’t you start encouraging this!