Custom earplugs

How does a foam plug block different frequencies? Different density? Only single explanation I can think of and I’m not convinced most plug manufacturers have ever researched or proved their claim. Smells like marketing bullshit to me.

Also, I’ve never heard a properly worked out argument for blocking a specific set of frequencies when riding more than any other. The benefit of cutting low end when on the open road is completely negated in town when I would much rather hear that bus.

Well all materials block different frequencies at different rates, foam is obviously better at blocking high frequencies.

I completely agree with you though - I doubt anyone has even done any real research on what frequencies need to be blocked and which need to be heard, let alone working out how to attenuate the various frequencies effectively.

I’ve had two pairs of molded ear plugs made over the years.  Always end up going back to foam:

http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/PPE_SafetySolutions_EU/Safety/Products/Product-Catalog-PoW/?PC_Z7_U00M8B1A0OP590IB369UJT2UU4000000_nid=29QBL8162SbeN8MT32R3VMgl

• Far more comfortable.
  • disposable (no need to worry about cleaning and hygiene)
  • seal by expansion, if you move or stretch will not open slight gaps down the side
  • the best noise attenuation hands down 39db (Ultimate Ear claims 30db) so the 3M foam are twice as affective.
  • If you drop on the ground, or lose one, just break out a spare pair kept under the seat.
I've had a look at the ISOLATE website, but could not find where the noise attenuation is but they sell them as Aluminium, titanium or gold or rhodium plated wow.  Loads of "testimonials" and marketing but nothing on the noise reduction.  3M quite clear on the site SNR=39dB, H=39dB, M=36dB, L=34dB
I've had a look at the ISOLATE website, but could not find where the noise attenuation is but they sell them as Aluminium, titanium or gold or rhodium plated wow.  Loads of "testimonials" and marketing but nothing on the noise reduction.  3M quite clear on the site SNR=39dB, H=39dB, M=36dB, L=34dB
Kevsta
Never used the product to recommend of condemn, but for reference their bizarrely hidden away results (with caveats in the original post) are:
ISOLATE® Aluminium SNR35. L=29 M=32 H=35
ISOLATE® PRO Titanium SNR36. L=31 M=33 H=35 https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/584645150/isolate-switch-off-your-ears/posts/1730960

The reviews on that KickStarter pages wouldn’t make me want to buy ISOLATE earplugs.

They also make big claims about metal being able to block low frequency sound better than foam but even the titanium one blocks less low frequency than the foam ones Kevsta linked to

what? 

:rofl: Wow hadn’t read that lot! Tony Visconti likes his though.

But they’ll be bargains

Hmmm, the fact that they have that information on their kickstarter page but not their actual page is a little strange.  

Rhodium Plated £299

3M Earsoft bag of 200 pairs £23

Know where I spend my money.