'CON' Emails

Imagine my surprise when looking through my emails this evening I found this…

INTERNATIONAL PROMOTIONS/PRIZE AWARD DEPARTMENT.
THE NATIONAL LOTTERY
RAFFLE DRAWS PROMOTIONS 2007

RAFFLE DRAWS PROMOTIONS 2007(CLAIMS LETTER)

THE NATIONAL LOTTERY wish to notify you that your email address was
randomly selected and entered into our free second Category draws. You
subsequently emerged a winner and therefore entitled to a substantial
amount of 1,500,000.00GBP (One Million Five Hundred Thousand Pounds
Sterling Only). You are required to Contact immediately the Lottery
Fiduciary Officer in processing of your lottery funds claims.

Endeavour to quote your BALLOTING NUMBER:UKNL-7092AG237801,
REFERENCE:/DHK110/, BATCH:/NBH12/, and SERIAL NUMBER:13-1003,
in your correspondence to our FIDUCIARY OFFICER. To file for your claim,
please contact our FIDUCIARY OFFICER by email or phone call with the contact below:

REV. NORLAN DAVIES,
FOREIGN DEPARTMENT MANAGER
THE NATIONAL LOTTERY
P O Box 101, THE MARINA OFFICE, ST PETERS
YACHT BASIN, NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE,
NE6 1HX, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM.
TEL: +44 ***** .
FAX: +44-
-
-, +44---.
EMAIL: ***********_
******@yahoo.co.uk

Hands up who thinks this is a con

Christ it is worrying especially when they put - FOREIGN DEPARTMENT MANAGER

sounds dodgy in itself.

You didnt though did ya?

No no of course I didn’t…

Well it hasnt asked for any money and it is an english address??? I would be too curious not to investigate further. Mind you, you know what they say about curiosity…

Where’s Drei…?

After a little bit of easy google searching I found this…

http://www.data-wales.co.uk/nigerian_lottery.htm

Would appear I was right to be cautious

If anything is to good to be true, it normally is. Especially if you are ‘randomly’ selected. There are thousands of these emails going around, and variants of them. Some of them ask you to send an ‘Admin’ fee…which you will never see agian. some ask you to click on a webiste, and when you get there, either nothing happens…(but what you have done is shown that you are on an active email and, welcome to much more spam) or they will ask you to download their ‘application software’ which can contain trojans, virus’, key loggers and many other nasties.

About 10 years ago I recieved my first piece of spam…I stupidly clicked on the ‘If you wish to stop recieveing these emails please click on this link’…and Bammo…I’ve had spam to that account ever since.

Also, look at the wording of your email…This is obviously written by someone who doesn’t speak English as a first Language.

You were right to be cautious and Google it.

edit Also look at the Email they sent…ends in Yahoo…what proper company dealing in Millions would ever use a yahoo account?

I love the reactionary dictionary thing…knowing full well that everyone is onto the “Bad spelling” that is traditional amongst Nigerian and Eastern European email scams, they’re now using words like

FIDUCIARY

to try and bluff us into thinking they must be legit…cos a FIduciary is a big deal…

What a joke!

I put FIDUCIARY into an online dictionary and it came up with this…

noun

1. Law. a person to whom property or power is entrusted for the benefit of another.
    –adjective
  2. Law. of or pertaining to the relation between a fiduciary and his or her principal: a fiduciary capacity; a fiduciary duty.
  3. of, based on, or in the nature of trust and confidence, as in public affairs: a fiduciary obligation of government employees.
  4. depending on public confidence for value or currency, as fiat money.
    [Origin: 1585–95; < L fīdūciārius of something held in trust, equiv. to fīdūci(a) trust + -ārius -ary]

—Related forms
fi·du·ci·ar·i·ly, adverb

Looks like these, (in the loosest term) PEOPLE, are starting to do their homework