Computer wi-fi browser - can't access internet problem?

It must be boring for those of you who have working Windoze PCs to have to read the trials of Mac users trying to get a PC working :frowning:

My PC is really weird. I built it about 5 years ago with a 3.6GHz and SATA drive (pretty advanced then eh?) but unfortunately I’ve really let my computer skills collapse and I now no longer know how anything works.

Problem: I can access Skype - it works perfect on the wi-fi (unsecured) here.

But none of the internet browsers work? This is really confusing.

I’ve tried everything I can think of, but it’s not getting the internet browser to work.

I phoned up Belkin Wireless’ Techguys support. They showed me what it was like to be treated like a complete idiot whilst I paid about 5.00 quid for the phone call to someone with an Indian accent who seemed to want to strangle me whilst explaining instructions like: “click on the My Computer tab” etc.

Anyway, got nowhere with them. Ive set up my wi-fi on the Mac, but not on the PC and I really want the PC to work.

Any ideas? Is this a DNS address reading problem?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/181715-no-internet-connection-browser-but-skype-connects-fine.html and scroll downprobably the same thing - problem with IP address hence with TCP/IP which Skype might not be using

I think you’ve pretty much nailed it.

Is there a solution for this?

The link you’ve included doesn’t show it.

Wonder why Windows has to be so complicated! :frowning:

You say you are using wifi - IP address will usually be assigned by the server/router.

What I found:

Go to Start–> Run and type ncpa.cpl and hit enter. Right click on the wireless network card, select Properties; scroll down to Internet Protocol, select it and hit the Properties button. Make sure “Obtain IP…” and “Obtain DNS…” are both selected.

Then go to Start–> Run and type cmd and hit enter. Type ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter. If you have any Internet pages opened close them. Go to the Start menu and right click on the Internet icon to the top of the list and select Internet Properties. Delete all cookies and temporary files…you could also do this by going in to Tools–>Internet Options in the web browser itself…after doing that close the web page and re-open it.

Also make sure the DNS and DHCP services are running. Go to Start–> Run and type services.msc and hit enter. Look for the DNS and DHCP client services and check to ensure they are both started and set to automatic.

try ipconfig /flushdns in the cmd prompt.

also run ipconfig /all >c:\ip.txt copy the info from the txt file to a post here.

also try ping www.google.co.uk what happens?

what happens where you ping 216.239.59.99?

All that about no ip and udp is a pile of steaming horse dung. Regardless of whether you are sending IP or UDP packets you still require an IP address. UDP and TCP are transport protocols, IP is a network protocol. You cannot send either TCP or UDP packets without a valid IP address.

I would suggest you have a dns issue, as the communications servers for skype are probably programmed as ip addresses, whereas web browsing uses names.

try give it a good booooooooot:D

I’m done with my “pile of steaming horse dung”. Thought I found a good source, but nooooope… I’m leaving you in capable hands of Kevsta.

Good luck!

:slight_smile:

Well, I’m finally back on line after screwing up my router settings and locking myself out of the internet! :doze:

No idea what was wrong. Had to ask someone to fix it. He tried to explain but clearly I’m too thick to own a PC.

After all this work to get the friggin’ PC workin’, I’ve now lost any luv for using Windows PC ever again. Going to migrate completely over to Apple once I move out of my house here.

Thanks for trying to help! If at first you don’t succeed, buy a Mac! :smiley: