Clutch cable replacement

How hard is it?

Pretty sure mine is knackered! Never had to replace one.

Probably need to do it sooner than later as it is pretty bad at the moment…

I’ve done it on mine, so can’t be that difficult lol

Haha I have an sv650 but having spent a fortune on servicing, tyres, chain sprocket etc I want to save a few quid and have a crack myself…

fair play to you! 

how do you know it’s the cable that’s nackered?

If you can, feed the new one while the old one is attached, that way you can follow the correct routing.

While the old cable is still on the bike detach it at both ends then cable tie the end of the new one to the start of the old one and use the old one to pull the new one into position. That way it’ll take the correct routing through the bike. If you think the old cable is on the way out then replace it sooner rather than later as it’s a right pain when it snaps and you’ve no clutch.

When did you last do this Joby?

I’m sure it’s the cable as I was talking to the shop about it and he said it was probably that.

But it’s taken a real turn for the worse this week. So want to get the cable in and do the swap this weekend.

It only took me 20 minutes on my first attempt and I am by no means technically skilled.

Yep as joby says…tape the new one to the old one and gently does it…done mine 3 weeks ago …clutch cable from eBay £5.99.

Get some oil run down in the cable also will give you a nice smooth clutch action …easier to do this before you get it into position on the bike.

10 Minute job on a bike without a fairing

As above
Even Alfie will tell you that he can change one would you believe he has a book for a curvy the clutch is roughly the same 

See it would take Alfie 10 minutes to change it, but would take 30 minutes explaining how he did it…

[quote]

As above
Even Alfie will tell you that he can change one would you believe he has a book for a curvy the clutch is roughly the same 

Wise
[/quote]

See it would take Alfie 10 minutes to change it, but would take 30 minutes explaining how he did it…

The Sleeper
when you do it check the clutch push rod cam the thing the cable is connected to they can get covered in shyte

clean it in paraffin & re-oil it

[quote]

As above

Wise
[/quote]

The Sleeper
it would take him an hour to put all the tools back in the wrong place covered in shyte and that's the ones he didn't need

http://www.sv650.info/download/serwisowki_2003/9_Servicing_Information.pdf page 14. On a naked SV it’s easy to replace the cable, but as Wise mentioned the clutch worm might need a clean, which takes time. I’ve cleaned mine a while ago and it became much easier to pull the clutch. Where are you getting the replacement cable from? I had one from Wemoto and it failed few months later, so fitted back original one.