Cleaning wheels - best thing for grease removal

I’m finding it harder and harder to remove the muck from my wheels, especially the rear on the chain side.

What does everyone use on their wheels, and what is best for removing grease and muck?

i use wotever is around and most of the time thats white spirits.

I use paraffin.
Spray onto a cloth and then wipe off the crap.
Once all is nicely removed wash down with hot soapy water and then finish off with a dry down and some Mr Sheen :cool:

WD40 is good … Removes the muck and leaves a coating that makes it easier to remove the next time . Keep it away from your rear disc .

^^^^^^ and the tyre

Listen to PJ he’s obsessed

I use salt granules and a wire brush

80grit sandpaper with washing up liquid on it for the stubborn stains works a treat

Mr Sheen sprayed onto a cloth, not the wheel. Trust me, you’ll be amazed.

Muc Off + some cheap toothbrushes when I feel adventurous

washing up liquid and warm water

Washing up liquid contains salt tho…so very sparingly if at all. Any cheap oil from the ‘Pound shop’ is good. Or the cloths in a bucket with hand De-greaser pre-mixed is good (chean hands first, then wheels - swing arm & chain guard.

+1 on the WD40, spray on and wipe off. Just keep off tyres and brakes.

+2 on the WD40

I like the Autoglym De-greaser… spray that on, leave for 2 mins then use a brush to get most of the muck off, then wipe with a cloth and water and should be good :smiley:

Gas blowtorch and a prayer.:slight_smile:

hang on, you question my washing up liqid but not Conrads? :P:hehe:

"I use salt granules and a wire brush

80grit sandpaper with washing up liquid on it for the stubborn stains works a treat"

youll be rinsing it off very soon after it goes on, so not causing much of a problem.

Stubborn stains require firm action.:smiley:

WD-40 is good, I used to use Kerosene but once i couldn’t get hold of any more I started using Paraffin. Just make sure you wash it off properly (don’t get any on the tyre) and wipe dry, maybe with a bit of Pledge :smiley: avoid using washing-up liquid it contains salt, doesn’t work well with warm water on a bike :smiley:

You know they’re the same thing right?

yes i know they are the same, but used to get the Kerosene from my mechanic (ex) while the paraffin is slightly different and got hold of some via Kaos :smiley: