Chelsea Bridge Tea Stall / Hut - What's Happening?

funny you should mention that Joby.

not so long ago there was a very interesting program on channel 4 about that, it happens just before ramadan.

now thats been going on for a while, to top it up there was a very famous case of one of them rich arabs having their supercar confiscated by the coppers as he didnt have a valid insurance on it. as it happens, he was the son of some very influential somebody, so his car was suddenly ‘released’ a couple of hours later. without charge. and an apology.

what they do around the roads is quite dangerous as they dont have a clue how to drive, they have proper races around town in very small residential roads (i.e. around harrods), if that is not a hazard i dont know what is… and it goes on for about a month every year.

its always double measures eh? :wink:

me personally, i’ve stuck the date on my calendar as i wanna go watch. :smiley:

^^Eventually they will severely injure or kill someone’s child and bring shame upon their nation. It’s only a matter of time. I really don’t feel it should be tolerated at all, if a group of chavs in Saxos did it they’d be shut down immediately.

As for the Ferrari that was seized. As I understand he paid the fine so they gave him his car back. Anybody can do that. The BS about an apology was just hot air.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2215661/He-probably-afford-release-fee-Arab-Sheikh-owns-seized-200-000-Ferrari-outside-Scotland-Yard-warning-uninsured-drivers.html

the same nation which supplies petrol to the rest of the world?

yeah right. :laugh:

It’s a pretty small community and an incident like that would be a big deal.

Thanks Joby you may be right.

In fact after watching the BBC news clip my opinion has changed somewhat.

You see, putting my rose tinted visor on (oh here we go Uncle Albert :blink: ) I’m remembering the Tea Hut from a time when I was a regular on Friday (and I think Wednesday) nights long, long ago when I was single and before kids…I’m talking the late 70s / early 80s :crazy:

I can’t remember any ‘stunting’ then, no wheelies,doughnuts,burnouts etc - if you think about it the sort of bikes we were on - Guzzi Le Mans (I had one of those! Why did I sell it?) , Bonnies, Ducati bevels, Norton Commandos ,Honda CB750s,Kwaker Z1s etc were not built for circus tricks - they were too heavy with much less bhp than today. Also I never remember more than about 30 bikes there at one time…usually 20 or so - just my memory I might be wrong.

If fact if anyone tried any sort of stunt in front of the hut they were subject to all sorts of piss take from any of us standing on the pavement - we thought it was worse than piss poor showing off - if you wanted to prove yourself you raced down to the roundabout and back up past the hut as fast as you could - object being to pass the hut first and slam on the brakes as you went over the bridge,

I never challenged anyone because I didn’t trust any of the nutters that were keen to do it (plus I’m a scaredy cat) - The problem was that down to the roundabout and back up was ok until you came up to the park entrance because there was so many people milling around and learners on Honda Superdreams who pulled out without warning , as well as taxis who liked to do U-turns there…

Anyway a bit hooligan but much less noisy and disruptive than the burnouts etc - plus I never saw the Police bother us - a few bikes racing at 2am with nobody else around (obviously no flats then - I can’t remember what was there - warehouses???) The sort of stuff I saw on the video I can understand as disruptive an I’ve a bit more sympathy for the flat dwellers now - even that American ****,

Ah memories …

ps you might have noticed I have a related bee in da bonnet about this…

I HATE what has been done to London’s riverside West of Vauxhall Bridge - a ghost town area of anonymous £2m flats that have no character, no kids playing, no independent shops, no restaurant or pub worth visiting but plenty of no trespassing signs.

Chelsea Harbour is the worst example of a rich-mans ghetto - and they even have a checkpoint charlie barrier to keep the plebs out (not bikes though luckily) … we should organise a bike meet there at 2am!

I was contacted too… still have the emails somewhere…

RIP Stefan :frowning: (Remember he lived with me for 6 months or so)

Small groups meeting there don’t attract much attention, unfortunately, NIMBY’s, especially minted ones have a huge amount of clout. I do think it’s a little akin to buying a house downwind of a sewage farm and then complaining about the smell.

Yes Stefan. I remember he lived with you for a time too. It was and still is a terrible shame :frowning:

In fairness it was never going to remain as disused warehousing forever and it would have been a stretch to think that the land could have been used for some sort of commercial purpose and one that accommodate bikers etc on a Friday night.

I think it’s too easy to label people as NIMBYs mate. If anyone is to blame it’s the local council and the developers who didn’t give the wider groups any say and sold these flats on the basis of a dream - and one that didn’t include a bike meet as they knew the law would be on their side in the end.

There was going to be no need to ‘waste’ money keeping everyone happy - they only had to worry about the flat buyers. And again here I wonder now how many of those flats were bought by people to live in - I suspect most were rented and you can’t blame them for being upset if they’ve rented a place and no one mentioned a bike meet…

Yep as I said rip-arsed stunting and other full throttle circus tricks ain’t going to impress anyone at 2 in the morning.

Doesn’t impress me much unless it’s on Douglas promenade - outside the Ace is just about passable since it doesn’t disturb anyone (except the Royal Mail and Bus drivers) - even that is borderline when some twats shave it a bit close. Some people are ok and do it fairly safely but it only takes an idiot in a souped up Subaru coming the other way, gunning it or summat to clip
them and send 200kg of motorcycle spinning into the crowd.

I ain’t a Health and Safety nut but there are limits…

Was going to be shut down, but won a reprieve

See the Wandsworth Guardian article here.

http://www.wandsworthguardian.co.uk/news/10976016.Famous_coffee_stall_visited_by_Rolling_Stones_and_The_Beatles_saved_from_closure/?ref=var_0

Yep! A victory (for the moment)…

I read that the Residents Association’s case fell on the floor when it was pointed out that two photos purported t show ‘rubbish’ strewn across the pavement on two seperate nights was in fact the same rubbish taken on the same day at the same time…

Accusations of the RA ‘bigging up’ and falsifying the evidence was upheld! :smiley:

Looks like Jocasta and Sheik yer Booty got over confident there…&£@%s that they are,

A group of well-offs tried to shut their street to traffic around here - it would mean HUGE disruption to everybody else in the area.

The woman who started the campaign said that, since she worked in PR and knew the ropes and suggested that she would fake a near miss road accident involving her 5 year old and a car using her road - then get the local paper and the Standard down to take photos and write articles about how dangerous the through traffic was with headlines like “Killer Roads Nearly Maim 5 Year Old”…

She didn’t do it in the end and the closure was rejected…Brazen £*&%! :angry:

Of course if the counci had removed traffic from that road the residents would suddenly find their houses had risen in value by at least £50k…funny that

dude, what stops you from parking down there on a friday night, say for a couple of hours? :smiley:

Nuffin! :smiley: as long as it’s open and now the Residents Assoc has been shown the red card it will be…

…but no Fridays anymore :frowning: