Chain Problems

hey allMy chain on my 04SV650 is gettiing very slack in a short space of time, Arnie helped me tighten it about a 2 weeks ago, since then i have done a few fair miles probably around 150-200 or so, is it time for a new chain? teh links seem fiarly ok not too stiff as i was told to look out for stiffness in the links, this wuld happen if it was on its way out?

i havent much idea how many miles the cahin has on it in total, i have put 6 thousand on it, the previous owner resides on LB, so he may be able to help!?

I had this trouble on my bandit…it turned out that the thread was damaged on the output shaft from the gearbox where it meets the front sprocket…

ooww, sounds expensive!

is it? not having any probs changing gear, to be fair i have been giving it some beans a bit lately, maybe that is causing the slack, a it its a twin it has a fair bit of tourque, thought this may slacken teh chain quicker than an inline4? (or maybe thats just complete rubbish?)

rus pop by mad-dog mansions tomorrow & i’ll take a look at it for ya:)

i think it’ll be fine as your bike has never got passed 3rd gear:D

Hi Ratty46

It sounds like the chain needs replacing if it is going slack only 150/200 miles since you last adjusted it - usually when I put a new chain on my bike I find that it only needs adjusting every 600 miles or so - and even then the adjustment is relatively minor - the chain is not usually slack - it’s just getting close to the point where it needs adjusting (unless I’ve been really gassing it - in which case I notice more stretch than usual).

After about 16 to 17k on the chain, I usually notice that I’m adjusting the chain more regularly - every 300/200 miles - the chain often develops a combination of noticeable tight/slack spots by this time and i know it’s time for a new chain.

If you have put 6k on the chain and if the previous guy put anything upwards of 10k on it then it sounds like you need a new chain.:wink:

ooww, sounds expensive!

is it? not having any probs changing gear, to be fair i have been giving it some beans a bit lately, maybe that is causing the slack, a it its a twin it has a fair bit of tourque, thought this may slacken teh chain quicker than an inline4? (or maybe thats just complete rubbish?)

wasn’t that bad…I was having the chain replaced anyway… I’m led to believe that the power delivery of a v twin makes them go through chains quicker than an in -line 4…

Johnse1/Sid- cheers for the info dudes, glad to hear its not too expensive! j!

i have just been looking on wemoto at spares, payday in two weeks, so i’ll order new sprockets and chain then, i’ll pop by mad dogs tomrrow and he can help me tighten the chain-cheers mate:), if i go easy on it and keep checking it it should be ok?

one of the couriers at work told me i could take a link or two out to get a bit more life out of it?

oh 1 other thing:D X ring chain r O ring??

On my GS500 I was tightening the chain all the time after I had been thrashing it a bit !!

Give me a shout if you want a hand fitting the chain & sprockets, I still have andyp’s chain splitter and joiner (sorry mate!).

No probs Ratty46

Should be alright so long as you take it easy and it is not ridiculously slack (e.g. making contact with the top of the swing arm/looking like it’s going to jump off of the sprocket) but get it changed as soon as you can.

The x-ring chain (has cross-section of an x - no ****!) is supposedly a technical improvement on the o-ring (you guessed it - has the cross-section of an o) in that it provides two sealing surfaces to keep the lubrication in the rollers compared to the o-rings one surface. Personally I’m not bothered if my chain has o or x-rings - I reckon the difference is too marginal to get worked up about.

It’s worth getting a decent chain though (middle-price range) over a cheap chain (if you’ve got the spare wonga - natch) - I’ve had cheap chains that turned out to be really **** and were on their way out (totally slack) after only 4 and a half K - Afam (French manufacturer) are a good quality chain - I got about 17k out of my last Afam chain.:wink:

my last chain was like one of them haribo chewy gums, have had to tighten it every ride. slipped off the sprocket after a rolling burnout attempt :smiley: i think it’s time for a new one ratty :wink:

yup tis time for a new chain!:smiley: mad dog cleaned it and ajusted it for me while i…errm…watched and learnt:D…yeah…

so come payday i will have a new one to fit, tis all good! just have to go easy on it, i’ll do the BCR tomrrow, then tighten it again after if it needs it, then its only going to be used for work.

v-twin wont be a factor mate. sv650 actually puts out the same if not less than the new crop of sports 600s, and way less than the litre bikes.

odds are the chain is just tired and you’ve got some stretch in it - when you did the last adjustment the chain might have been in the tighter bit, and you’ve next checked when the wheel is in a different position and its more slack

I change my rear tyre more than I adjust my chain :stuck_out_tongue:

why…got a flat spot from being parked up ? :D:D:P

Do you have shaft drive?

Never seen one of those on a Busa :w00t:Somehow my bike has 30 odd k on it Steve, just from standing around :P:Whistling:

paddock stand and left running in gear :rolleyes:you taking it to TT ?

Paddock stand? They’re for people who adjust the chain and clean 'em alot aren’t they? :ermm:Just getting new boots on for the trip Friday :cool:Before you ask, no I didn’t buy my bike with that many miles on :stuck_out_tongue:

The chap at Santa Pod on Sunday with a turbo Busa was changing his oil every meeting and his clutch plates every 6 runs. His tyre looked OK after about 8 runs though :stuck_out_tongue: He was doing 8.x second quarters at 185 mph with about 450 odd bhp :w00t: Didn’t ask him about his chain but it was about two feet longer than yours :slight_smile:

Before you ask, no I didn’t buy my bike with that many miles on

Ooh ya biatch just cos I did !!! :w00t: