Chain Monkey

Ok this is probably going to be one of those gadgets that may get bought and never used but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it…?

http://www.tru-tension.co.uk/

Makes it sound like as if it makes it easy to set up though I’m not sure how it would work on bikes that aren’t motocross or ‘street’ i.e. an adventure which needs quite a bit of slack…

In any case, would be interested in hearing from those with more technical nous if the claims look legit… 

Interesting and only £20
Now all we need is for mr groovy to be a tester for us

That looks kinda cool. Wonder if it actually works as advertised. I’m up for anything that makes maintaining the bike that bit easier.

Yeah I kinda don’t get it… It’s not that hard to adjust a chain is it?

All depends how clear the manufacturer makes in the book… :smiley:

I guess there’s always the whole, “tighten, measure, check” and if you don’t get it right it’s a case of repeat…

Come to think of it though, I think back to my time at OMC and I’m sure Matt had showed me a trick with a cloth in the sprocket to the same effect… what I don’t remember is if that procedure was for chain tightening or something else. god my memory is terrible when I don’t practice stuff :smiley:

On my commuter (Fireblade) and most sports bikes the relative tension is more or less the same, and I check it once a week when I clean it. Doesn’t take a second, and once you know your bike you can do it without measuring, surely? I don’t even measure it on my race bike, it’s so ingrained. Maybe I’m not the target audience.

Yeah, I came across this a little while ago with its thing about getting the tension right every time, but the bit of tensioning a chain that I’d like to automate away isn’t figuring out if there’s about an inch and a half of play, it’s figuring out if there’s about an inch and a half of play at the tightest spot

This seems to make the already-trivial bit of chain adjustment slightly more fiddly, and not solve the bit nobody can be arsed with.

Seen this around and I’m not convinced. Measuring chain tension isn’t that hard anyway

I bought Claire one for Christmas! It’s not been used yet, because we came to an agreement concerning bike maintenance and haberdashery and the like.

There is a video describing how to use it below. It may be useful I suppose but you should measure it with a ruler afterwards too. You should also take into account that the tension may be different between when the wheel is off the ground and when you are sitting on the bike.

You should also take into account that the tension will be different between when the wheel is off the ground and when you are sitting on the bike. Joby
Fixed that for you

> You should also take into account that the tension may be different between when the wheel is off the ground and when you are sitting on the bike.

Why? You only ever measure the tension when you’re not sat on the bike, you don’t really care what it is when you are on it.

well as long as you measure it as described in the manual (ie on the side stand) should be fine?

was she insulted you thought she needed it and sent you to do your knitting for the evening?

Crochet darling, it’s not knitting.

Hmmm so does the measurements state that its a on a centre stand or rear paddock stand or front wheel chock …loaded or unloaded .swing arm position therefore chain tension is critical on these matters …ALL I CAN SAY IS THANK FOOK FOR SHAFT DRIVE LOL

The standard is unladen on a sidestand, since that’s the only way you can always do it by yourself. But, yes, shaft drive does obviate all these problems with primitive final drive sytems.

Gadget and I don’t see the point of it.
If you must an easier way is to place the shank of a screwdriver between chain and rear sprocket, if one screwdriver doesn’t give sufficient slack use more, 6 mm rod ends are also a perfect fit.
This needless gadget does nothing to assist in achieving wheel alignment, which for my two penneth, is a little more trying to achieve than the tension. Note too chain tension is normally plus or minus 10 mm, if you can’t achieve that you shouldn’t be allowed scanners.
However you end up doing it, adjust the chain at its slickest point to the manufacturers tolerances with the bike taking its own weight. If you adjust the chain with the bike on a centre stand or paddock stand you may well find the slack to be outside of tolerance when the bike takes its own weight, this is because the front sprocket is forward of the swinging arms pivot point.

Note too chain tension is normally plus or minus 10 mm, if you can't achieve that you shouldn't be allowed scanners.  National Treasure
Next thing you'll be telling us that if you can't check your engine oil level, you shouldn't be allowed printers ;)

I was thinking about this. £20 for something that probably costs about £2 to make… I’m good thanks. i’ll carry on with the old methods…