Catching a Mouse

i got a few snakes that would be happy to help :stuck_out_tongue:

Stacey you win! That is the ultimate in mouse removal techniques:D

indeed…my python loved mice! wasnt keen on rats tho:D

hi, steve here (wasp’s old man) aka pest controller for london underground, the main worry here, if your in a 2nd floor flat, is that if you have mice, so do your nieghbours, below and sides, therefore you really need to approach these people and ask, otherwise you may be constantly catching a never ending supply of mice, due to the infestation being elsewhere,

there are a number of remedies, depending on the dwelling type, ie, concrete built flat/converted house,

find the entry point, any hole that you can fit a biro pen into, will give access to mice, these can be blocked with wire wool and polyfilla, the old fasion break back traps are brilliant, although poison can be put down in sealed bait stations, that will kill within 3-5 days, if you have floorboards, you would’ent want a decomposing mouse under there, as they STINK!!!, so use the traps, best places are boiler cupboard, behind fridge, tv/video, anywhere with a heat source that is constant, peanut butter is your best choice of bait, as the buggers cant resist it, plus it has a high water content, as mice only get water from food source, they pick this every time over cheese, chocolate etc

you might also use sticky boards, placed along the skirtin, mice stick like **** to a blanket:D

live catch are ok, but unless your going to travel miles to release, they will come back, dropping them in a bucket of water, is highly illegal, so dont tell anyone, plug in deterrents are a load of CRAP!!

anymore help needed, give wasp a ring, and I’LL EITHER HELP OVER PHONE, OR IF NOT TO FAR, POP ROUND TO HELP

STEVE

he knows his ****! ace hunter!

go get em steve!!:smiley:

From experieince -

[1] Start early. The buggers breed at an incredible rate so act before they start multiplying

[2] However the mouse got in, your first task is to stop any more entering (See [1]). Check for any holes in skirting boards, floorboards etc. Check out cupboards etc and make sure they are no gaps where pipes etc enter the property. A mouse will get through a hole less than 1cm in diameter so the only rule is no holes at all as they wil lgnaw anythign smaller to make an entrance. The most effective barrier to mice in my experiance is ceramic wall tiles or mild steel sheet cut to size and shape.

[3] If you have [2] under control, and only one or two mice, then the advice on traps will be effective.

[4] If not, the most effective solution is poison bait. Get small tubes or cardboard or plastic and place them along the walls with bait in them. Replace any bait taken every day. After a week you will have no mice, but the smell of death can linger for a few days. See [1] and [2] above to avoid this!

Snakes are OK, I was thinking half a kilo of TNT down the hole you last saw the little bugger run into:D

you can hire my male cat he is a wizz at getting them althou they might have no head left when he is done…

Hi Steve, thanks for the comprehensive reply!! I’ll get some of the breakback traps today from the shops and get them put down. I’m not arsed about humane or not, I’d rather just get rid. The little bastard was under the tele y’day, so I think thats going to be where I’m going to hopfully get the fella.I’ll start moving all the furnature as well to find any gaps… although, I’m almost certain that its coming from the boiler cupboard where there are gaps between the pipes.It is worrying about the block having an issue with it though, i’ll have a chat to my neighbours about it tonight…Thanks again!

also - why is it illegal to drop them in water?

+1 to that, when we moved into my old house in the 90’s we had mice in the cellar that ventured up into the house at night and occasionally made an appearance while we were still up. I couldn’t get clearance to kill them at first because the Mrs thought they were cute until they got her Haribo Starmix, after that the traps sorted them pretty quickly. We found Indian restaurant chocolate mints were almost irresistible to the big-eared furry blighters.But mind your fingers…

same reason you not allowed to feed snakes live prey anymore…cos its ‘cruel’ apprently;)

Surely, if the snake catches the mice your not “feeding” them to the snake anymore than the birds/goldfish your cat catches out in (someone elses ) garden?

tuna or penut butter :)…if you dont believe me, try it…tuna especially as the smell will overcome most other food smells in the area so its their first port of call. mice n rats are becoming a comon thing now, if i help out in the old mans diy store i will easily see 20 or so traps, boxes of poison go in a day! if you do go for the electronic deterents make sure it says electromagnetic on it. most are ultrasonic only and useless as the pulse can be deflected by anything. the electromagnetic ones are amplified by passing through wires in the wall etc. never knew this until a nice fellow with a job like steves told us so we bought some in, now every restraunt in the area swears by them (as i said its becoming a comon problem and you cant really put poison and traps in a restraunt!) so they cant be all bad :wink:

• 1 for Peanut butter, make sure it’s smooth not crunchy. I wouldn’t bother with the “Humane” traps. They will soon pee you off before you up the ante. I bought 2 at £7.99 each & I never caught one. Now have some hardcore traps from Homebase. Getting on top of the problem now. Don’t help that I’ve got a railway line at the end of my garden.

I’ve had mice in last year (opened the back door one night last winter and one came in from the garden like a rocket - they shift!) , got a couple of those ultrasonic gadgets that you plug into a socket and leave on. Mice gone in about 10 days or so, never came back. I’ve loaned the gadgets to someone else now, think the mice remember not to return due to earache.

I had a mouse problem last year. It seemed to like munching on my boxes of livefood I feed to my spiders so I popped down to my local Wilkinson and picked up a Rentokil mouse trap. Baited it with toast and a couple of days later I had a dead mouse laying in the trap. I’d recommend these in particular as I know they work very effectively.Here’s proof:

Yes that’s how it came out of the trap and yes it’s eyes are indeed hanging out. Total damage we noted was broken front arm, broken spine, crushed skull and the dislodged eyes. Not bad for £2.49 :wink:

I’m sorry for those who found the above photos upsetting, but Willenium, I did lol :w00t:

I can lend you my Suze…after she introduced herself to this little pest (by way of shaking hands haha)…she wolloped it and had brunch :smiley:

I’ve got those rentokil traps, set one in the airing cupboard…

also got some of those “big cheese” ones but they look shite…

just a waiting game now! :smiley:

Awwww dudette those pics are great:w00t: as much as we all hate mice in our homes they are soooooo cute:blush: and thats coming from me who is married to him who likes killing things lol:P