Careers in Motorbikes

Has anyone here ever done a job which involves working with motorbikes? , Is it easy to find a job in that industry these days? , I applied to do apprenticeships with Honda and Suzuki and got nowhere to be honest people say do a job which you like doing as a hobbie so motorbikes is first thing that comes to mind really need to find a job and getting nowhere :angry:

My tip is don’t do for a living what you enjoy as a hobby, because then you have no outlet and that hobby becomes mundane and not something you want to do often.

That said, of course we’ll have loads of people in the bike trade in LB, who will no doubt step up and tell me I’m talking rubbish, but that’s just my personal opinion from experience.

Working with motorbikes?- Is that riding them or Fixing them?

Me personally, I’m currently training as a motorbike courier rider in london. I like riding in london atm although my hobbie of biking suffered a bit of a change of bikes for the work (a.k.a. cbr600fs down to a cb500…).
If you’re looking for a job in motorbikes you could always try being a motorcycle riding teacher, with the laws changing it’ll probably be fair game soon.

BozBoz

There are plenty of jobs being advertised for motorcycle training instructors - you start by paying to learn how to teach CBT and go on from there…Probike motorcycle training offer courses and they are nice people, based in Essex.

But there are plenty of other schools looking too…

There was also a recent ad in MCN looking for mechanics skilled in working on Jap bikes for a relocation package to Canada with a racing team, you can search on their website for the info.

I agree with Jay, if you mix business with pleasure it just isn’t the same anymore, but it is up to you at the end of the day, good luck.

Err jay im sorry but biking is not a “hobby” shame on you… :slight_smile:

hornby train sets are a hobby…

Its a way of life!!!

i like working in a bike shop but as with anything if you do one thing all the time you will get bored soon enuff.

but there is scope for moving around within the industry.

YEP GET BORED WELL FAST IN SHOPS THATS Y I LEFT AND NOW DO WORK FROM HOME AS A MOBILE MECHANIC:) PS HONDA APPRENT TAKE AGES 2 GET BACK 2 PPL THEY CALLED ME AFTER A YEAR WAIT AND ALREADY DONE 1 BY THEN LOOL.

Working in the trade has its ups and downs like any other job.
If you want to do it long term I would try and stay away from the retail side of things, as being asked the same questions day in day out gets to you real quick.

Same old questions same old answers, I should have done Adz’s job :cool:

Sounds like someone is a Suzuki fan…

I have a company with my other half, aside from my main job in banking. But that’s just it - the banking is my main job and the other company doesnt pay me. It pays my other half and it means i get a good deal on insurance and parts and things, plus I have a lot of contacts and know exactly where to go for most things. At the moment, however, it just wouldnt sustain us both and I am carrying things with my main job (interesting in the current circumstances).

One of the problems is that the biking community is even more demanding than a lot of other groups of people. Plus they want everything for nothing. So to remain competitive, you have to price yourself out of making any profit. Plus we deal with a lot of Racers and Trade, so we end up doing a lot of discounts anyway through that.

But in this industry, more than most, its a lot about who you know.

Dominos Delivery?

ive always been close to the motorbike industry being that more than half of my family worked at hamiltons in streatham lbs in norwood motorcycle city infinity clapham george whyte and motorpolise at vauxhal and the owner of bikealign just to name afew.

its good to work in yet bad to work in like most industries. i worked in the parts department and enjoyed the aspect of the job working closely with the mechanics and learning on a daily basis but my uncle who is a A++ grade car and bike mechanic gave it all up after 30 years in the business just due to the way it is how hard you have to work and the lack of pay you get. same goes for my honorary uncles dave and martin price who are well known and both dont want to do it but have to as the amount of investment they have made into it over the years.

my advice is go for it experience it but stay away from sales its just retail either get in working on them as a hobby or parts but dont do it forever itll just eat away at you i lasted a year at infinity and couldnt take no more of the bitter old lonely guy who had been stuck at parts for the last 15years there was no way i was going to turn out like him!!