Car license?!

Get a super cheap banger that you can put a few dents in.
The first car I bought when I arrived in London was a £250 Renault- I got 3 years out of it before it died.

yes, you can get some lessons before your theory, but dont try to shortcut this, your instructor will get you test ready, driving your mums car will not. talk to the ADI about scooter practice, get your lane discipline and road position sorted, learn to read the road and improve observation, but only with the help of your ADI.

if you try and get it done cheaply you will fail and have to do it all again, so save up and do it properly

For my first car I’m not even looking to spend more than £500 but that’s like top max!

No I won’t e cutting corners to save money as that will cause me to fail my test and then cost me even more

My mum taught me to drive when I was 15, at 16 she used to let me drive to Felixstowe (had a caravan there) I thought I was a good driver and thought I’d fly through my test when I was 17. I failed my first test as I had picked up loads of bad habits (crossing hands when steering rather than shuffling etc) so had to take lessons, i ended up needing more lessons than I probably would have to get rid of my habits!
It’s not always a good idea learning from a family member (unless they are a qualified instructor of course)

If you had an instructor, why didn’t they explain the process to you? :rolleyes:

The process of getting your license is fairly straightforward, at least on paper: get your provisional, pass your theory test at any point before or during your practical lessons (it’s valid for two years), book your practical test, pass your practical test. Voila, easy peasy, innit?

If you’re as good as you say you are, then get your theory test passed asap. You can start your lessons without it, but the tests get booked up for months in advance so to be able to take advantage of any last minute cancellations, you’ll need your pass number. Get the official theory book as they have variations of all the questions that you will be asked in your test, and all the answers!!! If you can’t manage to pass after memorising them all, then you shouldn’t be let loose on the roads in the first place :P.

It really is worth paying extra to get a well qualified and experienced instructor.I only passed my test last year and the first instructor I had seemed ideal: she was cheap(ish), she was local, current Old Bill, a biker and she was recommended to me by my old biker instructor. Some friend he turned out to be as she was useless to the point of being illegal. She was actually trying to tell me to do things that would’ve failed me. After the ordeal of ten lessons with here where I’d learnt eff all, I spent the extra and booked ten more lessons with the AA - and it really was a good investment and I wish I’d have gone down that route in the first place. As the saying goes, you get what you paid for. I’d avoid lessons with your family if at all possible, for sooooo many reasons.