Can one tell a difference of 1-2 psi tyre pressure?

Just curious if I have an amazing talent or wild imagination.

After thinking that my tyres felt a bit soft I stopped to fill them with some air yesterday. Turned out they were only 1-2 psi off the 36/42 required pressure.

So, I started thinking if it’s really possible to tell such a small difference or if it was just a delusion. What are your thoughts?

5-10psi definitely but i would imagine you would need to be seriously in tune with your bike for 1-2psi

But I don’t think it’s impossible that you would’ve known

Yes

Where spelling is important: “1 psi of the required 36” would mean you were riding on an almost flat tyre with 1 psi in it. Whereas “1 psi off the required 36” would mean it had 35 psi.

Words are funny things.

I can’t. Occasionally something will feel ‘odd’ with the bike and, on further inspection, sometimes the tyre pressure’s a little low.

If the tyre was warm, wouldn’t that make the reading incorrect?

I’m not sure I could

Well, it’d make the reading different; higher temperatures mean higher pressures and you can easily gain a PSI just by getting the tyres warm. Personally, I don’t think it’s so important to be exactly whatever the number in the manual (or wherever else you get the pressure from) is, so much as that every time you inflate the tyres you do it to about the same, so the bike generally behaves as you expect it to. I tend to always use the same gauge and always do them warm, because I tend to only think of it when I’m already riding, and the gauge lives in my jacket.

On the KTM you can certainly tell if the front is up or down from the recommended, as it impact high speed stability.

higher temperatures mean higher pressures and you can easily gain a PSI just by getting the tyres warm.
My car (like many today) has a Tyre Pressure Monitoring System. It's amazing how much it varies between stone cold and warmed up after a drive. There's a good 0.5 Bar difference.

I can’t - certainly not on the road bike. I do off road with knobblies, but that’s playing around with PSI from 10 upto 20 - still can’t tell the diff if it’s a few PSI different,

Where spelling is important: "1 psi of the required 36" would mean you were riding on an almost flat tyre with 1 psi in it. Whereas "1 psi off the required 36" would mean it had 35 psi.

Words are funny things.

Michael748

Duly noted! Probably a typo on the phone. Corrected.

I guess it sounds like it was just my imagination then. Was just curious more than anything else really, wasn’t implying I was special. I KNOW I AM!!!

Yes I think you can.

After being used to a particular brand of tyre, I have been able to tell. I know that some tyres, Bridgestone or Pirelli, have particularly soft walls, therefore they are more susceptible to a lower pressure which would be mire noticeable.

I once rode my bike for 2 days until I realized one of the tyres was 20psi less then it should. Did explain why I could barely lean the bike into a corner.

•)
( •
•)>⌐■-■
(⌐■_■)