Can anyone explain central London cameras to me please?

wait for the proposed square mile 15mph zones

Hrm, thatā€™s odd, that means theyā€™ll outlaw 30mph electric bicycles when (if?) UK law catches up with EU law, which seems at odds with wanting to put the focus on walkers and cyclists.

What about cyclists going over 15mph, could they trigger any cameras? :thinking:

Although that speed in the square mile can be quite rare with the amount of traffic

I believe speed limits apply to motorised vehicles only

A cyclist could be prosecuted for reckless endangerment or something in the event of a crash, but arenā€™t bound by speed limits

1 Like

This is correct. Speed limits only apply to pedal cyclists in the Royal Parks through bylaw - and indeed many have been prosecuted for exceeding the limits - on the public roads the limit does not apply to non-motorised vehicles.

I havenā€™t of anyone being caught since the clamp down.

My point is imagine you do the limit and a cyclist passes you going fasterā€¦ Highly unlikely I know but try explaining to the judge :joy:

1 Like

Before I had a big piston between my legs, I used to cycle to football training. On the way back, thereā€™s a 40mph zone with the camera pointing downwards on quite a steep hill. Set that off once

2 Likes

They were wondering who that was. Thanks. The PCN is on its way.

3 Likes

15mph in the Square Mile isnā€™t too bad. Even at 20mph you can make good progress as the area isnā€™t very large. With regard to cyclists much like running red lights they need to understand that they are not exempt from the law. And those clowns on electric micro scooters.

I believe speed cameras take two photographs hence the two flashes. If two vehicles go through at the same time they compare the two photographs to determine which vehicle triggered the camera. If its not possible to determine no FPN notice is issued. Its happened to me twice on both occasions I was side by side with a white van man with us both doing +10mph or more over the posted limits and no FPN result.

Anyone up for a flash mob (see what I did there) testing of this theory?

Theyā€™re completely illegal. Believe I saw a news story about some Police force clamping down on them.

Though I think this is nonsense, if they allow electric bicycles then they should allow electric scooters/skateboards. Some rider education might not go amiss though :slight_smile:

The difference is ā€œelectric bicyclesā€ are electric assist only. The user has to pedal and the assistance cuts out at 15mph. If you see any (Deliveroo, Iā€™m looking at you) riders on bikes who are making progress without pedalling, they are illegally modified.

Several countries have legalised electric scooters, Germany did so last month. The UK government is currently studying this but is a bit preoccupied with other matters at the moment. Iā€™m all in favour of legalising them. There is a natural smugness among motorcyclists to look down on others who havenā€™t done their CBT and bike licence but just remember every one of these scooters, even if they annoy you, is one fewer Toyota Prius in your way. Letā€™s have more of them.

Yep, though thereā€™s two categories, pedal-assist and powered. EU allows both. We havenā€™t quite got there yet. Think we should, but 15mph sounds a bit shit. 20mph at least, surely.

1 Like

Rather than decreasing the speed to 15, theyā€™d be better off just enforcing the current 20.

But realistically, they need to explore the idea of different speeds at different times of day. For instance, when Iā€™m riding from work at 6am the roads on my commute are very empty where 15mph - 20 mph would be utterly painful and just not realistic for anybody to stick to.

But in the afternoon, i can see some logic in slower speeds. But 15? Noā€¦ just enforce the current 20 mph limits. I regularly see ultra fit cyclists cruising at 25mph+

2 Likes

Given this thread is about the complexity of London rules, adding another one is a recipe for disaster especially different boroughs adapt different limits at different times. Let alone that the signs will need overhauling and if static I doubt people on the go will be able to process

I was thinking more of a blanket rule across just the square mile, like now thereā€™s a blanket 20 that nobody follows. But like you say, as we know from London it never works like that.

Another point though, at 15mph. Iā€™m gonna be stuck in 1st gear at a higher rpm. Isnā€™t this going to contribute to pollution?

Interesting question. I know this comes up regularly in discussions about cutting from 30mph to 20mph and all the expert opinion agrees that the reduced limit does reduce emissions but there must be a point where this reverses.

1 Like

Has to be, as Michaels says, @20 mph Iā€™m either hi 1st or really low 2nd which then causes itā€™s own issues.

1 Like

I guess I mean like 3pm filtering in some situations when they are obviously clear and you are just getting in front of the final car. I wouldnt dream of using it like a bus lane (which I think you still need to be ultra careful in), or when the lot is packed with cars like euston road

1 Like