Cabbie knocked me off my R6

Thanks guys. I spoke to White Dalton in the meantime. They will take on the case now and mentioned they took over quite a few cases from Bromiley Holcroft.

My lawyer advised me not to go with Plantec Holdings at the moment, as they will just take away my bike and store it against a fee, they wont start repairing it right away as I have third-party-only insurance and liability needs to be determined first. Also. since I have a broken finger and cant actually ride for c. 6 weeks anyway I was advised not to take a rental bike, which makes sense even though is would pressure the other side to act quickly. Also I actually want it rather get fixed by a Yamaha Dealer than Plantec Holdings.

In terms of writing off, the whole back of the bike is smashed and so is the front left where the light is (was!). Additonally scratches are on both sides eg on the exhaus etc. If it is written off I assume you get the market value of the bike pre accident and it is then up to you to repair it or not?

When your bike is written off you will get the market value and sometimes have the option to buy it back off them if it is a CAT C OR CAT D.

White Dalton were nice when I called them, give them a call and you’ll have an easier time of it.

Fucking cabbies, eh!

DanielGT mentioned it.

Over the last 6/7 months, I went through a tough time and might even have called it depression, yes, it’s relative. But I just worked through it myself and didn’t ask for any help.

All I’m saying is that it would be a bit weak to claim ‘loss of amenity’ unless it was something very serious, such as real depression, PTSD or such. Needless claims are one of the things that keep insurance premiums high.

I hope to get a tattoo soon, can’t wait to feel what it’s like.
And forgive the hijack Black Knight - I honestly hope you get that great looking bike back to it’s former glory :slight_smile:

Do you guys know how the market value in a write off is estimated? Also what if I cant find a used bike for that price?

I went to the crossing today where the accident happened to take pictures for my lawyer and saw that the cabbie actually pulled out of a no stopping area…

Hope you enjoyed the sunny weather fellas

I think a lot of insurers use Glass’ guide for valuations. The market value should be the same regardless. Its the proportion of repair vs valuation that matters in this case.

Jesus… who care use whatever you can and bang the bastard. YES depressed, he loved his bike and he feels hurt and depressed. People do get attached to objects just like they do to pets. I for one love my bikes and my car and when something goes wrong I swear to God I feel their pain. I can’t explain it but I do… call me crazy whatever. He wouldn’t be depressed if the idiot didn’t cut him up so YES they should pay for it.

Who can say or claim to know exactly how you feel? You may be affected by the accident in various ways. You may not even feel like riding and be afraid, have flash backs… etc

Also all I have to say is helm CAMERA…

I had a claim being dealt with by Bromiley Holcroft (spelling?) about 12 years ago. They were fucking awful back then. I wondered who they were actually representing, me or the prick who totalled my bike??? Could’ve gone either way.

I personally wouldnt take the bike unless you need it.

I also wouldn’t take it straight after the accident as any damages that would have been made available to you for injury would surely be conested going on the fact “he was nipping about 3 days later your honour”

Im no legal head but it would look strange to me.

I ended up with Holcroft.

They were ok. Also had a replacement bike from Plantec.

The case took about 4 months to settle and I ended up with a new bike, plus injury damages. Only got about 50% of the cost to trousers etc…, but the damage was minor and I ended up with about 1K for a sore thumb…

The 3rd party insurers were useless according to Holcroft - with no phone number to call them on even, but all got sorted ok.

Main issue with the claim was Groupama, my insurers, who were useless and never seemed to know what was happening and never rang me.

One issue I had with Plantec was that the YBR125 they supplied (direct replacement for mine) as a rental vehicle flew off the side stand one day when I started it, as it had one of the YBR’s dodgy neutral light/ cut-out switches. I actually replaced the clutch lever and told them about it, but after they’d collected, they tried to sting me for the insurance excess. But, to be fair to them, I rang them up and explained and they told me I didn’t have to pay.

All in all, ok company, but will probably take a bit of chasing round all the parties to keep things moving. I have the feeling most of them are probably like this.

Mind you, I had an independent witness to my accident, which helped no end.

That’s quite interesting! I wish I’d have a witness, but I didnt even think about it. I just run over to my babe tried to pull it up and was shocked by the damage. I also expected police to reconstruct the accident take photographs etc, but they didnt do ****, just taking a report from me and the cab driver. Now that I am thinking about it the cab driver could make any statement, e.g. signals on, I was speeding (not coming from a red light anyway) or even that he was standing in my lane already and I wouldnt have seen him. As there is no witness and CCTV no one could prove him wrong.

Anyway, White Dalton is appointed and I have sent off my paper work yesterday. Unfortunately, my solicitor is out of office until Monday…

I still dont know what I should hope for. I understand from here and reading online that in a 100% case your bike is either 1) written off and you get the market value pre accident or, 2) you get a compensation for the repairs and perhaps the diminished resell value. However, I’m not sure how much the latter is. Has anyone ever had any experience in receiving a compensation for the diminution of value or knows what will typically be better, written off vs. repair/diminution comp?

Cheers
BK

Hi guys,

Just wanted to let you guys know that after 10 months of back and forth, liability was finally admitted by the cab driver and I was 100% compensated for the write off of my bike and my injuries.

White Dalton has done an outstanding job on this.

I am very relieved it went well even though I didnt have any witnesses.

Ride safe and if anything happens make sure you have witnesses and appoint WD.

All the best!

BK

good result. seems justice was done for a change.

Thank you for taking the time to update us!

I had and off last year in Jan, fully paid out on the bike, riped off for the damaged gear, and injury pay out. This happened reasonably quickly, although it was clear cut with witnesses and police involved.

Other party have admitted 100% fault, but due to some weird reason, their insurance are quibbling about the payout. So claim is still ongoing, which is fuking up my insurance on the bike and car.

Dont get fobbed off by and endless army of paralegal chicks, see if you can get White Dalton involved, and make sure you’ve got clear statements on what the progress is. Otherwise you’ll end up chasing everyone and tiring yourself out.

Seems confusing at the start, but pin people down on their statements and get them to correspond by email and it gets easier.

Why would you expect the police to do this in a minor personal injury accident! All that is required is as you stated, they take
a statement from both parties and any witnesses and ensure details are exchanged. In their report they may make a reference to
the manner of driving of one or more of the drivers involved, which could entail prosecution down the line.

The police only take photos etc in the case of life threatening/changing injury accidents.

Good news then, but there’s no need to knock the boys/girls in blue so

When I had my straight out of the show room Bonne’ written off last year I was more than happy with the Police reports.

They gave me all the details I couldn’t get first hand since I was in the back of an Ambulance. I also received notifications from the Met of the third party’s acceptance and completion of a ‘Drivers Awareness Course’ in lieu of prosecution. These reports in the hands of my solicitors turned a lost cause into an out of Court settlement in my favour. Note, the third party was claiming 100% liability against me and his ‘witnesses’ were singing from the wrong hymn sheet. The Police reports in the hands of my solicitors hushed his ‘witnesses’ and completely turned around what appeared to be a lost cause into an out of Court settlement in my favour.

Good news!

Hi mate. I seem to remember from years ago that if a car was accident damaged within 6 months of the date of registration then the insurers would usually write it off as even if the repair costs were relatively losw, the diminution in value often meant it was more economical overall to write the vehicle off and pay out the full purchase price. Was your bike under 6 months old and if so, did you get back the full purchase price?