Brugge Easter Egg Run

Is there anything “special” one needs to do/have to ride in France or Belgium? I’m ready to book, just want to make sure that I have everything their laws might require.

europe breakdown cover and a tame right wrist is about it really.

Don’t French have some laws about mandatory high-viz vests or medkits?

Yeah, they’ve a law that requires you have a hi-viz vest and breathylisers, but didn’t get as far as defining a penalty for not having them, so they’re not really that required. Whether or not you want to get into a discussion with a French policeman about the technicalities of their traffic laws is up to you, really.

Apologies for flooding the thread. Just want to make sure that I don’t screw up with something elementary. Haven’t been abroad on my bike hence these beginner’s questions.

Found this one: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/compulsory_equipment.html. Looks like the laws requiring high-viz and breathalysers have been abolished so no need to have them.

Regarding the checklist for a European tripe, this is what I’ve found is needed and good to have based on different sources online (including this one):
Insurance - must have European cover (required)Registration documents - V5C, to prove that you actually own your vehicle (required)GB badge on the number plate (required)Driving license - self explanatory (required)Passport - self explanatory (required)EHIC (E111) - European Health Insurance Cover (optional)Private health insurance cover - (optional)
Does that look right to you seasoned riders? What about the reflective stickers on the helmet that the article mentions? Are they really required or is it yet another one of those “depends-on-how-they-interpret-the-law” things?

We are over there alot so dont take too much notice of what others say.

Take with you the following:
hi viz if youre going to breakdown on motorway :wink:
full licence
tax disc if applicable
insurance
mot
puncture kit
passport
E111 card compulsary if you need treatment and euro personal insurance is your choice

euros and bank card for fuel garages, if theres a problem that you havent got a card someone will do it and you sort them out with cash

euro breakdown if you really want it, in all fairness we are going to be 80-90 mile from tunnel and if anything happened we can arrange something.

you dont need breathalysers at all

only other thing, make sure you know the cornerman system :slight_smile:

we will put more details up next week, dont worry if youve never ridden abroad just sit in the pack and dont ride like a dick.

Thanks for the info! Always helps to have lists when doing something out of ordinary :slight_smile:

As in the tax disc? I don’t think I have anything else.

My MCE includes European cover as well so I reckon that’s sorted.

No problem! I never do :slight_smile:

As for other things:
Don’t have MOT as the bike’s less than a year oldGot bank cards so not an issueKnow the corner man system, been on a few ride-outs :slight_smile:
Edit:
Can anyone suggest a good and reasonably priced puncture kit? They seem to range from £1.50 to £25 with no obvious differences.

Brilliant, you pass :smiley:

Ah, yeah, whether you want to get into an argument about the technicalities of French traffic law with a French policeman is up to you and whoever’s being kind enough to lead your ride :slight_smile:

Are you coming, if not you dont have to worry.

I have been pulled by the french police a few times so speak from experience. and actually brugge is in Belgium :wink:

And ridden on past a cop making Mark take the fall :smiley:
Yes I know I didn’t stop either, but there was noway he could catch us :w00t:

I’ve been unfortunate to have tried and tested this one to success!

CAR VAN TYRE TIRE PUNCTURE REPAIR KIT WITH 10 STRIPS

Don’t forget you’ll need a way to inflate the tyre once plugged. Luckily I nursed the bike to a petrol station and pumped it there, but I do have a couple of CO2 canisters with the kit as well.
Can’t find a cheap link for them at the moment.

[quote]
nivag (18/02/2015)

Sweet! Thanks, mate!

In other news: BOOKED! So feel free to add me to the list of taggers-along. :smooooth:

gutted I can’t make this :frowning: whaaaa stupid work

Awwww Jon. I have a premonition you’re going to be ill on the 21st :wink:

is Mark still able to go Ang? :frowning:

Yes all being well. If not he can come on the back of me :w00t:

Otherwise I will be leading.

you might want to re-word that :stuck_out_tongue:

Just a heads up: if there are any latecomers that can book the train but don’t have a place to crash, I, like Rusty99, booked a room in Premier Inn in Ashford Central for the night before. It’s a double room so we can share/split if there’s a need. I’m sure we can ask for separate beds. I hope!..

LOL he’s on strict instructions, very light exercise :wink: