British GP, what an experience

As most of you know I’m lucky enough to mix with the BSB riders on a regular basis and get to meet and chat with them loads as a marshal, but when it comes to MotoGP I always get a little star struck meeting those guys as they are in a league of their own, well this year’s GP was among the best experiences I’ve had in bike racing.
Friday started off a bit slow and didn’t have much to do so after racing had finished we had a bite to eat and sat in the campsite having a natter. But it all changed on Saturday.!!
After the track time we went into the local town for a pub meal and when we got back we wanted to go watch Rick Astley on the main stage but it was finishing so decided to go for a wonder around the paddock, it was about 8pm so wasn’t expecting to see anyone so wondered around the corporate suites doing the uaual photos etc but as we got to the end of them we saw Cal & Lucy Crutchlow on a scooter so wanted to go congratulate them.on the birth of baby willow and on his win at Brno so followed them round to the pits and lost them going into the Lorries. Whilst there I suggested we look around the garages, we tried sneaking into Lorenzos box but didn’t fancy getting kicked out so walked on for a bit till we got to marquez’s lorry, the back was open and I spotted his boots so me and my mate started having a sneaky look then out of nowhere Marc Marquez pops his head out the garage so we got talking and chatting about the race then I cheekily asked if he would ring my son and say hello.
The man is a complete Legend cos he rang him and spoke to him and wished him good night!! My son was in floods of tears and couldn’t believe it was him.
Then after the race on Sunday after we had packed away the traffic getting out of the circuit was at a standstill for about an hour so we had another walk around the paddock, as we were looking round the car park all the riders were in their cars, Brad Binder, Scott Reading, The Lowes Twins then just as we were saying hello to them I saw in the corner of my eye a young chap limping towards us, it was Pol Espargaro so we were chatting with him and asking about the crash and his leg and he was laughing with us cos I explained I was a marshal and had to deal with what was left of his bike, then I heard laughing behind us, as I turned round, in the car behind us was Aleix Espargaro and Maverick Vinales!!! They were taking the piss out of Pol and all seemed like really nice blokes, obviously Pol and Aleix get along but I didn’t think that the others were all mates as they are on different teams but it was so good to see them as normal people and not these massive superstars they come accross as.

Top banter you had there!!! Gonna have to be there next year !!

I almost forgot to add another really surreal moment!!

On Sunday after the Barry Sheene parade lap I had to take the bikes back to the show tent, Nial Makenzie left me with his bike as he had to shoot off quickly, so as I was pushing it round the corner I looked up and I front of me was Colin Edwards, beside me was Simon Crafar and as I looked behind me it was only Bloody Mick Doohan!!!

Attachments

yeah so who is the blonde chick?

That’s my wife!

Here’s the link to Marquez ringing my son. Skip to 16 mins to see marquez or if you have 20 mins to waste and want to see around the paddock watch it all.

It’s not really by the way. Lol. She was a promo girl for the sheene bikes

And there was me thinking I’d had a good day at the GP!