British engineering to be proud of

Which is the “Tornado”, the mad steam loco project. I read about it when they first started, thought it was completely daft. However, now it has come to fruition 15 years later, it’s actually pretty neat. Pity that the boiler’s German cos we don’t have the skillz in this country any more, but hey ho. Anyway, it provides my favourite clip this week -

https://www.youtube.com/v/jpXt7QX0NZM&hl=en&fs=1

Apparently they got carried away with the tests… Network Rail say 75 mph max, the project says well 90 mph is the most it’ll ever do, the inspector and driver got 97 out of it and were promptly arrested by BT Police when they arrived in Newcastle or York or somewhere, so the story goes (must have a tracker fitted or summat). Rumour has it that they are now thinking of attacking the 126 mph world record, it’s that good.

Thanks for posting that, that’s fab :cool:

Yea , we used to make great boilers ( and motorcycles) in one of fred dibnahs programmes i seem to remember him and his mates beating 1/2" cold rivetts into the end of a boiler on his roller then takin em all out cos the last hole wasnt aligned properly and starting again , great stuff :slight_smile:

Should have had those when it snowed. Steam trains never stopped running because of leaves on the line or a bit of snow. Love it, and the speeding :slight_smile:

Should wander around Croydon, mass producing boilers there

Funnily enough, this train is passing through Croydon this Saturday.

Full itinerary here.

I have no particular interest in trains but one can’t help but admire these people for achieving this, that’s pure passion and dedication for you. I would be keen to see this train if it wasn’t for the fact I have other arrangements that day. Which is a pity as I live right next to the railway line it will be travelling down!

Proper train, you up for the Highland express mate?

This one might. Old trains used to applied directly to the wheels themselves which prevented the build up of leaves and ice on the wheel (it would scrape the debris from the wheel). However modern trains used inboard disk brakes mounted on the axles. So alas modern trains suffer from a build of debris on the wheels.

Not sure how the brakes are configure on this wee beastie but I would imagine it’s using disk brakes. But the steam should help prevent ice build up.

Balls, the British still make great kit!

Look at the Accuracy International AS50:

https://www.youtube.com/v/12nm0rVhLTw&hl=en&fs=1

I think it might be the solution to the banking crisis :smiley:

That’s pretty impressive… don’t want to be on the wrong end of that.

@ eezyrider: thanks for the heads-up, I took a wander down to Egham station to see this loco pass through today. After it had coasted to a halt, I realised something about it - it was silent, or as silent as a thing like that gets. None of the usual “ker-plink-a-plonk hiss hiss”. Which means that when they said they built it from the original blueprints, what they really mean is that it’s a “blueprinted” loco, something that can only be done with today’s CNC lathes and so forth. No wonder the thing performs like that. Very interesting.

You’re welcome, 7Wheel. I too ended up seeing it, at Croydon, and it was a brilliant site. Great build-up as we heard its whistle from a couple of miles away when it was in Purley. It went past fast so we didn’t get that much of a look at it, but it made a welcome change from all the electric trains that go by. Can’t beat a steam train IMHO, proper engineering :smiley:

That is awesome:D grew up living 5 minutes away from the main harrogate line from york and every sunday through the summer they’d run all the old steam trains to leeds and back, so we used to cycle down to the A59 and stand on the bridge waiting for the flying scotsman to go underneath us! i love old stuff brings back happy innocent memories:D and my father knew fred dibnah and even took me to watch him knock down a huge chimney in huddersfield in the 70’S using a fire undeneath it…:w00t: