Breakthrough Breast Cancer Walk 2008 CANCELLED

For all of you who have taken part, or those planning to take part in the BBCW later this year it’s bad news. Due to the fiasco last year they have decided to pull the plug. I’m sure you share the disappointment that I do as this is one of the great events we support from a bike perspective.

So lets hope that things get sorted out for 2009.

This is the letter that has gone out today to the registered walkers for this year.

J.

Dear Supporter

Thank you for taking part in The Aviva Walk London to Breakthrough Breast Cancer last year. Having completed the walk myself I know how much energy it took to complete the distance and raise money so on behalf of all at Breakthrough, I’d like to say how much we appreciate your valuable contribution to our research, education and campaigning work.

As you know, initial plans have been put in place to run Walk London again in 2008. However, as the planning has developed further, we have had to take the difficult decision not to hold the event this year.

I understand this might come as disappointing news to you and completely appreciate that you might have already started preparing for the event so I hope this email sufficiently explains our reasons for the decision as well as suggests other ways you might like to continue supporting Breakthrough.

Key to our decision has been the feedback from walkers who took part in our 2007 event which all pointed clearly to the need for an even better event experience in 2008. To do that, we’d need to significantly increase the amount of money we spend on the event. We have also been unable to secure a sponsor for 2008, which means that we would have to cover even more of the event costs ourselves.

Taking these factors together, we do not believe the event of the future makes the best possible use of Breakthrough’s resources and your support. Breakthrough has a responsibility to provide our supporters with the most effective ways to raise money for our vital work and therefore always aims to ensure our events are not only an excellent experience for our supporters but that they also raise as much money as possible to fund our research, campaigning and education work.

As you can imagine, Breakthrough has been working hard behind the scenes to establish whether the event could be run or not and it’s only at this time we’ve been able to make a decision.

I appreciate that you might well have started preparing for the event. If you would like to redirect your support to other activities, I am really pleased to let you know our good friends at Walk the Walk have offered a limited number of places in three events (Edinburgh Moonwalk in June, the Bristol Sunwalk in July and the brand new Newcastle Sunwalk in September). If you are interested in these please contact us on the details below.

Alternatively, you might wish to take part in one of our UK treks, undertake an overseas trek, or organise a Crocus Walk. More information on all of these activities can be found at www.breakthrough.org.uk or by speaking to one of our team. We really value the support you have given us and we hope that you will be happy to get involved in one of our other events.

If you have any questions about this email please contact us at [email protected] or alternatively call us on 020 7025 2400.

Once again thank you for your support which has enabled Breakthrough to further our vital research, education and campaigning work.

Kind regards

Jeremy Hughes
Chief Executive

this has already been posted in the general chat section mate,