Brands Hatch - Indy Circuit

So do I, you could teach me how to get my knee down :smiley:

i think i’m going to print off sammo and b’s advice and bring it with me :Wow:are you guys really going round sub 50 seconds on road bikes?where on the track is the last pic taken out of interest?

Hey guys, reading all your comments you make me gasping for some more track time this year! …so please stop it ;)!

I was wandering… Jay, why do not start some sticky threads (one per each track) where one can put the circuit walkthrough, videos, accommodation, map of the track and other tips so that they can be used as a reference in the future?

We could start with this and the other one where Sammo walkthrough Mallory park. I do not exclude there are others.

Thanks for the advice on this thread, excellent stuff to read even for a novice.

Yes, thank you for the track description. I’m off to the evening track-thingy-ma-giggy for novices today (being my first track thingy ever - so looking forward to it). V helpful! Thank you.

Grab an instructor to come out with you and help. That’s what I did and it made a massive difference! I’m no pro though, haven’t got it back on the deck since, despite multiple attempts at roundabouts :w00t:

Lines, braking points, turn in points etc are all subjective. Depends on bike, rider and set up. I will probably brake later than Sammo, or even B for that matter, because I have less horse power and have to carry more corner speed. So on the Sv, I will take a slightly different line to aid my holding of speed through the corners.

Because I can gear the bike for the Indy, I carry 5th gear all the way through Surtees and round clearways, that way, it keeps the bike stable and very unlikely to highside. For the newbies going out there, my recomendation for the first few sessions would be to hook a higher gear than you think that you need. This should aid your smoothness.

As B points out, for those that have not ridden Brands, or are new to this track day malarchy, brake at the white line on the start finish straight, or near enough to the gantry. As you aproach the corner, its blind, and you go over a slight crest. That slight crest is where I brake, but I don’t stay in to the right, I go nearly into the little road on the left before chucking it in, I need to to hold the corner speed. I am running 5th gear through paddock.

Druids is nasty to brake for sometimes. If you really do carry speed through paddock, you may well find that the bike is light on its wheels when you get to where you think you should be braking, so I suggest you strat braking early and adjust through the day. I brake just before the bridge, but usually have the back end bumping off the ground.

Graham Hill bend, is harder than it appears. If you drive hard out of Druids, you will be going down hill, trying to get to the right of the track, and also braking for the corner. Try to slide yourself back on the seat and get as much weight back as possible, this is where that stonto stuff that you stick on the tank comes into its own.

There is a line on the tarmac, change of tarmac line, as you apprach Surtees. My ideal line is to turn in at this point from the very right hand side of the track. Pick the bike up after the apex and nail it through towards the grass on the outside at Mc Larens. There is a bump nearer the inside of the track, my line misses it :smiley:

As you go through McLarens you need to be getting back over towards the right hand side, but watch the line through the track here, it seems smoother to stay just outside of it. As you can, open the throttle to drive you onto the start finish. There is a dip in the track by the marshalls post, right at the start of the pit wall, for smoothness I find it best to make sure you miss it, thats about 8 feet out from the right hand side of the track. Just yank that throttle now all the way through until you need to brake for Paddock Hill bend.

For the knee down brigade - DO NOT GET YOUR KNEE ON THE KERB AT PADDOCK HILL BEND, not only does it hurt, but it can cause you to crash. If you are going to go over the kerb with your knee, lift it slightly as you get there and then put it back down as you drive away from the corner.

For all the kerbs at Brands be careful for that matter as they can all rip your knee off. Graham Hill is another i pick my knee up on so good point Chuffster.

My personal best is a 49.4 on knackered tyres hoping to do a sub 49 next time i race there. My bikes a 675 but not really a road bike anymore motor is still stock though. B probably hooked a high 49 or two trying to chase me round the other week.

wish i was going but work wouldnt give me the day off!:crying:

:w00t:

That’s quite fast! I did a few calculations and…

49.4s (1.198m track) = 87.30 Mph as average!..

…you still need to work a bit though ;), the lap record is 45.80 from Gregorio Lavilla :cool: on an AirWaves Ducati.

christ, cant quite get my head around doing the track 20% faster at the moment!:w00t:

Awesome advice there Sammo & Chuffster!

I’m warming to the idea an advice sub-forum for the trackday one.

I’ve been out all day at the Southampton boat show so have only just got up to date here.

Great to hear the info is of help:) that said i’m also a bit wary of saying too much as it can seem quite daunting to those who are quite new to the track. I prefer to keep things very simple at first and then build on that once the basics are mastered.

I heard a phrase on here from I think Scratcher43: ‘Paralysis by analysis’ and think this can be very true sometimes.

At the end of the day there is no substitute for tracktime so get out there and enjoy it;)

Will do, but might bug some of you more experienced lot for tips etc :slight_smile:

Must agree with B. I have no idea what kinda level you guys and gals are at other than the odd one or two. So find your own feet first and build up once you know your way round well : )

As for Lavilla’s 45 - he’s a fair bit better than me and on a fair (or massive bit!) bit better bike and tyres to!

Very true, as a newbie to the track a lot of that great advice is too much for me to comprehend. At the moment, I just concentrate on getting around there as fast as I can without crashing :w00t: It’s a blast!!! When I’m better and more competent, I’m sure I’ll get more into the nitty gritty stuff that will shave time off the laps then :cool:

It hasn’t gone unnoticed how much tracktime you’ve had lately SW…must be paying off now:cool:

Another important ingredient is enthusiasm…something you’re not lacking either.

Talking of trackdays, if you can’t get on the 1st Oct Brands and are desperate, come down on the day and there is a chance you could get on in the afternoon.

It really paid off this weekend when a corner tightened up on me unexpectedly :w00t: I believe the only reason I didn’t panic and grab a handful of brake is because I knew I’ve been round tighter corners faster on the track. I just went for it and got away with it :hehe:

After having done the track now and re-reading all of this, I was practically walking around I think :blink: