Brake Light Pro Wiring

OKay … just bought myself a “brake light pro” for the ZX10. Wiring looks simple - connections to TWO wires … but then I looked at the ZX10’s wiring diagram and the input into the LED. THREE wires (!!!)

Below is the Brake Light Pro install diagram, and the other, an extract from the ZX10r Wiring Diagram.

Can anyone tell me which wire’s I splice into?

Cheers

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

photo_upload.jpg

That one I think - its looks to be the feed from the brake switch, as per the first diagram.

Attachments

photo_upload.png

5 minutes with a multimeter can confirm you get +12v on that wire, only when the brake is applied though.

Do you have the full picture? you need to see what wire connects to the Positive terminal of the battery

that would be helpful - but i’m guessing the middle connector on the diagram is the earth (the black one, given the two other are have red on them) and its common to all the lights, which looks like a common earth to me.

Yes that would make sense, but best make 100% sure before cutting wires.

You haven’t bought the BMW one?

According to the wiring diagram the BL/R (black/red) wire connects to the brake light switch therefore this will be the brake light live. The R (red) wire also connects to the license plate therefore this will be the tail light live. The BL/Y (black/yellow) wire connects to all the lights therefore this will be the earth but you don’t need to worry about that, don’t splice into the earth wire its easier to simply connect the  brake light pro black wire to the frame/chassis for the ground/earth.

1) Cut the BL/R (blue/red) wire between the brake light switch and the brake/tail light cluster.

2)  Connect the red wire from the brake light pro to the cut BL/R (blue/red) wire coming from the brake light switch.

3)  Connect the green wire from the brake light pro to the cut BL/R (blue/red) wire going to the brake/tail light cluster.

1. No need to cut any other wires, connect the black wire from the brake light pro to wherever is most convenient on the frame/chassis for the ground/earth.

Are flashing brake lights legal in the UK?

@National Treasure - many thanks for that.

To answer you last question …

It is legal under EU Regs for a vehicle to omit a red flashing light under heavy braking

It is STD practice as an advanced rider to manually flash you brake light during the appropriate situation

I am FEED UP TO THE BACK TEETH with drivers tailgating me on the A12

A flashing light is an MOT failure, and as such such a unit would need removing or have a bye-passed switch (cough)

Any more than that … No comment

The flashing brake light I fitted to my blade had a button on the back so when you pressed it, it toggled between 1 flash, 3 flashes and no flashes, I had it set to 3 and planned to put it to 0 when the mot was due, unfortunately some little budding footballer stole it before the mot was due

It is legal under EU Regs for a vehicle to emit a red flashing light under heavy braking

It is STD practice as an advanced rider to manually flash you brake light during the appropriate situation

A flashing light is an MOT failure, and as such such a unit would need removing or have a bye-passed switch (cough)

IanWilliamson

Fixed it for you.

It is legal under EU Regs for a vehicle to emit a red flashing light under heavy braking

IanWilliamson

Fixed it for you.

Jetstream

I was having a ‘brain dead day’ yesterday ! Thanks.

Don’t you dare make any further comment Wise !!! LOL

The flashing brake light I fitted to my blade had a button on the back so when you pressed it, it toggled between 1 flash, 3 flashes and no flashes, I had it set to 3 and planned to put it to 0 when the mot was due, unfortunately some little budding footballer stole it before the mot was due Marmablade
The Brake Light Pro also has various modes ..... you can test them out here:

http://www.healtech-electronics.com/ht_blp_demo_en.html

What fun !!! lol