Braided hoses???? how easy?

Just a quicky,

Ive been wanting to change all the lines on the bike for braided hoses. But the question is…

Whos done it before and how easy is it? I know of all the equipment I need and I’m reasonably handy as I’m an engineeer by trade. However ive never bled brakes before. Is this something you can do with relative experience or should I leave it to the know it alls? If so how much would it cost me to have em fitted if I buy them myself? ballpark figures?

:ermm:

I fitted them on my r6 no problem. Just buy a decent brake bleeding kit and you shouldn’t have any complications. If you do decide to get them installed by a garage, then your proberbly looking at an hours labour which can be anywhere between £40 and £80 depending where you go.

easy peasy, they are bolt on parts. bleeding the brakes is a pain in the arse, just needs patience.

It’s not that difficult to do, there’s a how to guide here:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maintenance/brakes.htm

Just remember to wash off any spilled brake fluid straight away as it will damage the paint on the bike. If you have any problems then just post up on here and someone will tell you where you are going wrong:)

Very easy…I fitted Goodridge hoses to my R1.

Make sure you buy a complete packaged kit rather than make the mistake I did of buying the seperate components because they didn’t have the kit in stock.

Make sure you route the new hoses as per the OEM rubber hoses…Take your time…The bleeding of brake fluid takes the longest amount of time in my experience.

Torque all banjo bolts up to the manufacturers specification…I used the original bolt’s specs, but sometimes the aftermarket hose will have it’s own.

Test your brakes at very slow speed after the job is complete.

And don’t forget to replace the copper sealing washers on the banjo bolts as they should only be used once or they can leak.

excellent cheers boys! youve settled it! new hoses it is!

I can just see my misses now, walking into the garage saying errr… he said something about hoses???:doze:

Maybe he ment a hose pipe???

haha

Easy Peazy as above but with a couple of comments…

1/ Don’t bother with a bleeder kit, just needs a bit of patience.

2/ Get Stainless Steel Fittings if poss. Avoid coloured alloy fittings at all costs on road bikes.

3/ Protect areas where the hose may rub with spiral plastic sheath to prevent damage to your bikes finish.:cool:

What are the benefits of braided hoses ? :ermm::unsure:

They rid your brakes of that spongey feel you get when OEM rubber hoses flex under pressure.

Looks sexy too;):smiley:

ahhh i c hmmm another thing to do on my list then

They are easy to bolt on but the bleeding can be tricky. I’ve done it on my Fazer 1000 and the hardest bits were:

• No need to buy a £40 bleeding kit. With a clean 500ml Tesco fairy bottle and a bit of a rubber hose squeeze the fluid from the bottom to the top of the system. In other words - use bleed nipples to push the fluid up the hoses.

• bleeding master cylinders. A real pain if you gonna have a double pipe on the front. I’ve found that the best way is to do the master bolt ( the one on the master cylinder) a little, start squeezing the lever and once you feel the pressure, gently undo the big bolt, see the fluid bubbling, possibly with a quiet hiss, and once the lever is close up to the bars - do the bolt again. takes a few rounds.

But the effort pays back with brilliant brakes!

i think you will find the nice men a trumpt allready fitted some to you 675 curt :slight_smile:

ohh and them monkeys right, dont bother with an expencive bleeder kit, i got one ages ago and never use it because its no easyer…

one thing to note, the brake fluid will go through paint like crazy so be careful when you’re removing the old lines that you dont spill it on the bodywork/mudguard. if you do, wipe it off there sharpish (and dont rub hard)

I agree with you there…The sequence for bleeding on big Yams like R1 or FZ1 is…Master cyclinder, left, then right calipers, then master cylinder again.

On mine, the tubing kept leaking…I think they’re designed for cars

Most braided hoses are covered by clear protective sheathing nowadays, so this isn’t as critical as it used to be with the old bare stainless ones.

I’ll just add one thing to this -

If you’re doing all the hoses, then don’t do front & back at the same time ! :hehe: