Blanket 20mph for central London

This is what scares me. I live in a 20mph area. When I drive my car at 23 - 25mph I get irate drivers tailgating me, passing angrily, often with blasts of the horn, often with charming gestures. Average speeds on my roads are nothing near 20. When I’m on my bike I don’t risk putting myself in this danger and I admit on open forum that I do go above the the 20mph limit.

With police cuts the only way they can enforce this initiative is with cameras. Get ready for biking being that little bit more uncomfortable.

1 Like

20 of course

I think we might have to look at creating a category for these bikes on LB and welcoming riders to the community! I think a lot of these riders could benefit from the wisdom present within the community :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got zapped at 43 mph.
To be honest I didn’t even know it was a twenty limit.
There wasn’t one other vehicle or pedestrian on the bridge. I reckon they were trying to get their number of nicks up after a quiet Christmas period.
I did the crime so I’ve gotta do the time.

there but for the grace of God go all of us …sorry to hear that

1 Like

Does anyone else experience more pedestrians stepping out in front of their bike when travelling at 20? It seems to me that peds see you travelling rather slowly and more of them think they have more time to wander across the road - those that aren’t engrossed in their phones that is.

1 Like

In the London bits of London it is just Westminster plus Kensington and Chelsea councils which have not adopted blanked 20 mph limits.

Speed limit map of London:
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/digital-speed-limit-map.pdf

Wandsworth is slightly different in that they exempt A- and B-roads (as does Croydon, Surrey) which makes a big difference.

Another crap map from TfL. Its no wonder these councils can’t get traffic flow right when their producing such piss poor quality mapping.

1 Like

Some very strange little isolated 30mph limits - I guess they must be private roads where TfL can’t set the limit?

The ones local to me are housing estates, so I think you are right.

Although Lambeth Council own the estates here, they have physical entrances so those roads are probably considered private and maintained by the housing division rather than the roads one.

Cynical view, TfL don’t want to get traffic flow right. they want everyone to use their services. Why did all the pull in bus stops disappear? It slows traffic to bus pace.

1 Like

I have some sympathy for this view. I follow cycle campaigning closely and there is often a feeling among campaigners that TfL is a bus company first and foremost, it is where most of their expertise comes from, and they regard bus services as a sacred cow.

The pull-in bus stops is however a different question. The need for the footway build-outs has been driven by the need for buses to pull-up closely to the footway to allow their wheelchair ramps to deploy.

I definitely remember them working with the pull ins and often see busses at angles using them outside of my office (mainly due to the number of busses that stop there).

There is also the argument that if TfL did manage to somehow manage the traffic flow to increase capacity on the roads, the number of vehicles would just expand to fill the available space.

Given that London needs to drastically reduce pollution from vehicles,and it generally has very good public transport compared to a lot of places there’s a pretty strong argument that making roads less attractive to driving is a good thing.

1 Like

“…has very good public transport…”

I beg to differ in absolute terms.

I have lived in lancashire, Sheffield, london and surrey.
It goes without saying that London has by far and away the best public transport of the four. I doubt that driving is the fastest option very often at rush hour, I sold my car the day I moved into london and didn’t buy a new one until I moved out 12 years later with a 2 year old kid.

1 Like

Live in Dublin for a while and you will understand how good London’s public transport is.

Of course it could be better. Most European capitals understand it makes financial sense to support public transport with tax-payers’ money, making fare prices fair.

I get a free Oyster card from work and still don’t use public transport.

It’s the ‘public’ part I can’t get on with.

1 Like

I can certainly agree with the sentiments that public transport in London is better than else where in the country, that’s more an inditement of how bad it is everywhere else. I can also sympathise with goals to reduce the number of cars in central London, but I’d like to know what ratio of central London traffic is privately owned cars vs commercial vehicles and cabs - the latter of which have little choice but to drive in London (assuming you want stuff delivered and offices maintained…)

For me public transport doesn’t cut it. I commute from Dagenham to Bermondsey Street, public transport on a good day takes 60-75 minutes door to door and would cost £2400 a year. My current bike cost me £2300 and takes 30-35 minutes. On tube, I simply wouldn’t be able to cover childcare drop-off/pick-off duties and work enough core hours, without forking out for additional childcare.

It’s no surprise London has better transport than the rest of the country when that’s where the money is spent.

Want to improve congestion? Limit the amount of massive office blocks being built at any one time. The amount of pollution and road space taken up by trucks is enormous.