Biker Down - South Lambeth Road

Wow that sounds horrible… I hope he recovers fully as quickly as possible. Never nice to hear these things :frowning:

No helmet will protect you fully against a blunt impact so chances are he hit some protruding bit.

This is a terrible accident, and hoping for a good recovery. The pictures of the van on the Standard website strongly suggest that the collision was near to 90 degrees. It looks like the rider’s head hit where the roof joins the door pillar. This is going to be one the strongest bits of the vehicle to hit as it will be constructed to protect the occupants by not giving way in a side impact or if the vehicle overturns. If you hit anything that isn’t going to give head first at 30mph+ it is not going to turn out well whatever you are wearing on your head.

He has had no further surgery, his breathing was a little worse yesterday, not responded to anything.

Regarding the Helmet, I can confirm it was actually a Shark S900 - he had a Shoei sticker on the front of the helmet which confused my brother.

Oh my, poor guy, really hope he pulls through!

I thought the Shark helmets got a good Sharp safety rating but when I looked it seems they don’t test them for full frontal impact if I’m reading the review correctly!

https://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/shark-s900

Terrible news and I wish him a good and speedy recovery!

On a separate note I was not happy with my S900, I binned it after about a year and a bit and 9 months of regular use. The padding just wore very badly and it became loose.

However, no accidents are alike and it would be hard to speculate on the cause of his injuries. If he did hit the pillar, the pillar is a very strong part of the car.

My thoughts are with him and his family.

Obviously the last thing on his family’s mind right now - but retain the helmet - do not let the police/hospital lose or destroy.

Terrible news - hope he recovers quickly…

I lived round the corner from there and normally the junction is not dangerous UNLESS someone runs a red coming from Vauxhall on the S Lambeth road…

… looks like the bike t-boned the van? Did the van break the red light?

I put my Arai Chaser into the back of a mini SUV at about 30mph, hard enough to dent it so it wouldn’t open.
I blacked out for a few seconds.

you can have the best helmet in the world but if you slide into a kerb hard enough, you’re done for.

Sorry to hear this - please keep us updated re his condition and best for a quick recovery.

Awful news to read, fingers x he is going to make a good recovery

Update - he has woken from his coma, has been able to open his eyes, he is not communicating as yet but seems to be aware of whats around him.

Well that’s a promising start. I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery

Big thumbs up here!

Good start. So long as he can make a good recovery that is all that matters.

awful crash… hope he recovers although it sounds like there are some serious life changing injuries