Bike storage

Hey team, 

How do you all go about storing your bikes? Are they in a secure carpark at home or on the road in a cover bolted to the ground? 

Being new to London I’m finding it increasingly difficult to find houses / apartments that have a secure carpark so it begs the question…

House - garage in the back 

Work - secure car park which is just in front of a busy loading bay

House: Garage out the back. Alarmed, ground anchors.
Work: secure underground garage with security

Had 3 bikes stolen now so no chances.

Thanks for the responses guys. 

Are you guys living outside of London? I’m based in Whitechapel E1 and currently trying to find a place that has a garage or secure carpark. They seem non-existent? 

Best move out a bit

@Jetstream - My thoughts exactly.

Out is the future

A nice sportsbike in Whitechapel won´t last much in the street, source…? living in the hood/Kabul for a while now…

Ground anchor and several Almax chains (guess how many) at home, in the garage, which is alarmed.  Going to put a tracker on it when me_groovy finishes installing his one and puts a review up on it.

Oh yeah. I forgot to tell you I got the sim working and the tracker reports ok. Need to sort out some way of charging it on the bike without it going flat.

I would think that off street parking in E1 is going to be hard to come by. As mentioned, moving out a bit is probably the solution.

Before I escaped to the (relative) country I lived in wandsworth - Balham/Tooting areas and had a flat in a small block with a parking space where I could lock the bike to a rail and then a ground floor flat with a small bit of yard out front just big enough to lock the bike to a ground anchor. Before that I had no offstreet parking but wandsworth council are pretty lenient about pavement parking so I could lock it to a lampost within view of my bedroom window.

I work in construction so I’ve generally been lucky enough to be able to blag a parking spot on site, near the security hut - currently a secure compound, heavily CCTV’d with a parking space I can see out the window from my desk. Not to mention the fact that there are much nicer bikes, owned by much scarier looking men parked right next to it .

Where I live, people leave cars running with their keys in, could have had a nice 4x4 the other day, plus toddler
in the back seat. You do wonder sometimes…

Back in SW London, I got a ground anchor on my drive and always put a cover on my bike. Still think a cover is
one of the most effective things. Personally, wouldnt have a prestige bike in central London, just too likely to
get it knicked.

I know i’m probably being a bit paranoid, But…

Someone joins the forum and the first post they put up is asking about where you park your bike and what security it has, and you lot are telling him!!

So far he’s managed to weedle out that there’s some bikes parked up somewhere in the southeast of the UK which are chained up to things… :slight_smile:

Followed by a quick scan of your supposedly unrelated posting history to fill in the gaps. With Sam on this.

As Desmond says, it doesn’t take too much detective work to go through your posts to see what bike you have then if there are pictures you can GeoTag them or some people even say in posts where they live or work, if they want your bike bad enough they will find it from your posts, or even find you on Facebook then they have all the info they need!!

Are you guys living outside of London? I’m based in Whitechapel E1 and currently trying to find a place that has a garage or secure carpark. They seem non-existent? 

JAX
Could be a leading question???

JAX
Could be a leading question??? Marmablade
Mate I understand you're a tad paranoid at the moment cause your blade got stolen and then the attempt on your KTM but trust me I'm not a prying thief. Feel free to come say hi at the Borough Market you guys attend tonight as I'll be there. 

I'm just enquiring about how people store their bikes because the housing is a lot different here than it is back in NZ. Typically most houses have a long drive way or garage or nearly all apartments have a secure carpark so, I'm left to ask others how they go about it and so far moving further out is the best option. 

Hope this has helped. 

Cool. Just have to be very careful at the moment

Easy there, people… if someone wants to find out about bike parking locations they don’t need to give details or start a conversation, we already give enough details in here, plus to nick a nice bike in London is as easy as going for a spin with a van in any residential are