Bike jackers on A41

Bloody hell. That’s crazy. Thanks for sharing. Really hope you don’t have a nightmare with the Police. That’s enough to make your stomach turn.

1 Like

Utterly, utterly shocking. I’m glad you are okay - apart from the trauma - and had the presence of mind to make good your escape.

I’m often riding through Maida Vale at that sort of time. I never imagined someone pulling a gun on me. I shall be doubly on the alert in future, thanks.

Good luck with the speed cameras, traffic light cameras. I’m confident if you are taken to court there isn’t a magistrate in the country that wouldn’t understand your story. Make sure you keep as much evidence as you can. Make a statement and keep a copy.

2 Likes

And if can, get in front of a jury if that’s possible? Fall all way they’d find you guilty imho

(Not sure it is for minor offences?)

1 Like

Did you consider just leaving the bike and running away? Thanks for sharing. In reading the thread it has made me think I need a plan in advance if this ever happens to me so I can be decisive at the time, and I think I would just give it up.

It also makes me wonder whether a bike tracker is a very good idea to make it easier to just give the bike up? (I already have it on my KTM)

I dont think it is worth risking your life, either because of them, or if you crash, or a pedestrian or anyone else. Having said all of this, I would assume they would give up though rather than pursue as surely like all thieves they go for the easiest situations?

Is there anything else we can do to lower the risk here? Can’t you get off the bike and immobilise it? Or stop quickly when you spot it and grab the key and run? What if we wear cameras? I know they have balaclavas on and no number plate, but something to make less of a target? I do wonder if some sort of weapon on the bike would help if you ever got into a life or death situation? I ight try and see if you can get pepper spray or whatever it is called (which I know would be illegal but would but I dont care if its what i would need to protect myself) I think having an awareness of where and how far police stations are from you are a good idea on our usual routes.

EDIT: Also makes you wonder if its better to wear a packpack with certain things in it, or especially important things like house keys on your person, rather than on bike

Personally I’d just have to judge it as it happens, too many things to take into account. Do you think you can actually escape, how much fuel in the bike, what bike are they on compared to yours, what time of day is it, are there many people around you, is the traffic busy and many more.

The only key I have on the bike is the one the starts it. I wouldn’t have any others attached, mainly as they’ll scratch the area around the ignition barrel but also if you left them in by accident you’ve lost more than one key.

1 Like

Yeah I did consider it, but once i’d run off I thought if i stopped it’d be more violent if they caught me. So i did consider if they get close or i get blocked in I’ll jump off the bike and run (and call cops), but ONLY if they got close enough. I also knew i had enough fuel, and knew thet if i got to faster roads with no lights I’d be ok.
I’ve since purchased a tracker, which i think would make the odds of recovery slightly higher.
I also think wearing a camera MAY reduce their desire a little, but in general they’ve got helmets on and fake plates so I’m not sure that’d deter them any.
i did ride to a police station on the route, but it was closed. i also thought if i SEE a police person I’ll stop and grab them.
I also did consider getting a weapon, but we all know they are tooled up and there were three of them, so odds are you’l get more harmed doing that. So that’s a no.
I’ve been thinking that actually riding in packs might help. Usually do-able at rush hours, as there are so many bikes around. just sticking with other bikes as a ‘safety in numbers’ thing.
Having said all that, I’ve not managed to get myself to ride in since.

2 Likes

The thing everyone needs to know there is normally only one 24h police station in each London borough these days.
I’ve considered going into 24h petrol stations or supermarkets or if it’s early enough a busy pub.
Better chance of someone helping you get assistance if the worst happens.
Though as said, if you’re on a decent open road gas the fuck out of there!!!

Yeah but this was 14:15 pm. It’s totally closed, despite being built only about 10 yrs ago.

sorry to hear that and glad you got away

yeah if you have a nice bike … definitely wear a helmet camera …

… I met some bikelife guys at fwr once and I said how do I protect against you lot … he laughed and said keep riding that snotter and keep your helmet camera on

But how d you ride a snotter when the govt have insisted we all meet ULEZ? I had to sell my 1998 Blade to buy a newer one… so al we are doing is feeding the scumbags more brand new bikes.

3 Likes

Glad to hear you are ok.

Buy a snotter that does meet the ULEZ? (or get your current snotter checked. The emission requirement is actually a pretty low bar to meet - I’ve seen a post on another forum saying somone got a 90’s 250 2-stroke through the test).
I know they’re not sexy but the older oil-cooled BMW R1100 bikes sail through apparantly.

Just not interested in having to buy another bike just to not get robbed. I couldn’t justify the FireBlade then, and that’s the bike I want… so maybe that’s it for me and commuting on a bike.

1 Like

Get Mr Loophole to defend you. The magistrates threw out speed camera prosecutions for various footballers after they said they had been chased by paparazzi. Let alone scrotes with a gun.

2 Likes

I got nervous just reading through this thread, i cannot imagine how you have felt. You must be one strong character to have gone through this and tell the tale you told. If i were to see a gun, i’d just get off the bike, leave the keys and walk away.

Power to you

1 Like

Hats off to you for handling it so cooly and not stuffing the bike in panic.

I guess most of us have wondered what we would do (I know I have and my bikes pretty low down on the “nick” list) if we saw a group of obvious scoot-scrotes take an interest in us and u-turn etc to get on our tail…I get wary if I see one scoot with a pillion doing it , if they are in convoy with another scoot my alarm bells go off…

Nightmare would be “Scoota Alley” that is the Embankment/ York Road from Waterloo to Wandsworth… so many lights, ped crossings , central reservations , side turnings etc that even Foggy on a race-prepped Panigale couldn’t distance himself from a granny on a 50cc ped!

I ride that route daily and have ever felt intimidated.
But hat’s off to the OP. Terrifying.

Know what you mean, I’d never felt intimidated either until that. However, I went to get a tracker fitted at the weekend and one of my mates in the shop told me about a mutual mate (who I then spoke to) who used to ride in on an RSV4 Aprilia. He was twice attacked, once at Staples Corner (two pads, he kicked one over and got onto M1) and another in White City with 3 x tw-up T-maxes. He doesn’t ride in anymore.

Seems like this sort of thing is all too common now. I had a little scallywag try to chase me down on Green lanes just before the summer. Went into full blown flight mode down residentials I knew well and just kept praying that nothing unexpected crossed my path… completely forgot I had a tank of giant African landsnails on my back for my classroom so the poor buggers got a new land speed record.

3 Likes

Just not interested in having to buy another bike just to not get robbed. I couldn’t justify the FireBlade then, and that’s the bike I want… so maybe that’s it for me and commuting on a bike.