Bike is dead, then it's not, then it is

Weird thing just now as I went to leave work.

Turn ignition on. Lights turn on. Press ignition hear a instant short-circuit sound and bike goes dead. No power no nothing.
Turn ignition on off. No power.

Immediate thought is fuse. I check all the fuses. Main FI etc all look fine.

Put key in ignition, it’s alive again. I don’t start it though.
Turn ignition off, check fuses again.
Put key in ignition bike dead.
Take the fuse out of the cable that leads to heated gloves. Bike comes back to life. Bike starts!

I think the cable to the heated gloves shorted the battery.
If that’s the case, would the fuse still be ok?
Would the battery reset after a few minutes?

At the moment the bike is on a battery optimiser and I’m not going to use the heated gloves tomorrow.

Thoughts?

Check the battery terminals. The bolts may be coming loose.

> Weird thing just now as I went to leave work.
>
> Turn ignition on. Lights turn on. Press ignition hear a instant short-circuit sound and bike goes dead. No power no nothing.
> Turn ignition on off. No power.

What’s a ‘short-circuit’ sound? Was it a ‘tick’ like a fuse blowing, a tap like a starter solenoid closing, or something else?

>
> Immediate thought is fuse. I check all the fuses. Main FI etc all look fine.
>
> Put key in ignition, it’s alive again. I don’t start it though.
> Turn ignition off, check fuses again.
> Put key in ignition bike dead.
> Take the fuse out of the cable that leads to heated gloves. Bike comes back to life. Bike starts!
>

Is your main fuse right by the rest of them (often it’s closer to the battery, because it’s got to also protect the starter relay) and aside from being not-blown (how are you checking these fuses) is there any damage to the fuses or their holders?

I’d echo Jay’s suggestion of checking the battery terminals, and also any plugs/sockets between the battery and the ECU.

Does the bike now reliably power on when you turn the ignition on, or is it still a bit hit and miss? Does the clock still show the right time, has it remembered your trips etc.?

>
> I think the cable to the heated gloves shorted the battery.
>

Why?

>
> If that’s the case, would the fuse still be ok?
>

The fuse in the cable would have blown.

>
> Would the battery reset after a few minutes?
>

No, but a safety cut-out somewhere might have done. Your fiddling may have disturbed a loose-connection, too.

~                                                                                                           

Check the battery terminals. The bolts may be coming loose.
Jay
what Jay said 

Terminals were sound. I also checked those.

The fuses were intact. I checked then visually, they had no breaks or burns.

At the moment it behaves normally.

The sound wasnt clicking, was more like scraping electricity if that makes sense.

Clock was reset as expected as there was no power going to the ecu

Bike acting normally this morning after a night on the optimiser? :confused:

How old is the battery mine did similar when one of the battery cells started to give out, took me a while to find out it was the battery as it acted like a bad ground to start with

Ignition on = power

press start = dead

ignition on and off = power

sometimes ignition on = no power

Hmm not too old, but I have been using the heated gloves in anger. Might leave on optimiser over the weekend

its that time of year where all electrical connections can play silly buggers 

especially the ones exposed to the road shit 

Water ingress or moisture around contacts/terminals are most difficult to diagnose especially with intermittent faults. If you ain’t checking it with a multimeter you’re proper wasting your time.

Is it a Triumph?

Nah, it’s a dodgy Honda.

new battery is in and new main fuse just in case.

old battery was reading over 13V? old fuse was also fine (checked with multimeter)

quick ride round the block and things seem in order…  hopefully its as simple as that