Bike instructor

With all the poo I have had trying to get a decent full time job this past year I have started to extend my options.

As I have a love for bikes and I like to teach people I was maybe thinking of traning to become a bike instructor. It would be satisfying teaching people how to ride bikes.

Any idea the best ways to do it or whether any companies offer training for it or whether it’s best to fund it yourself then start looking for a job?

Any help or advice would be great.

Cheers in advance.

There are usually jobs advertised in MCN for this. Suggest you look through the ads and contact some of the firms, they should be able to give you an idea of what you would need to do to qualify and what financial expectations you should expect at the end of it all.

I trained as a driving instructor (cars) and I can tell you it was not that easy to pass the tests. Cost about 1500 quid to do and that was back in the mid nineties. Not sure what the requirements for the bike are.

Is the first lesson free?

Depends what lesson you are referring to?

Terry,

Check out the DSA website. It’s got info about the process etc.

Usually you need to join an existing training school and become trained on being a CBT assesser, then you can move onto 125 training and then finally Big Bike training. Lot’s of theory tests and exams

http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Category.asp?cat=323

Good luck

Whenever you set yourself up as a self- employed person make sure that you keep a record of all your income and a record of all your expenses. (You also need to keep your receipts for payments you have made).You will need this to sort out your tax bill.

Terry,

Your looking at doing this at a very important time.

the DSA are looking at compiling a recommended list of instructors.

These instructors will hold particular qualifications and those that don’t will have thier noses put out of joint.

Contact the DSA to find out which qualifications are to be included then give me a shout and i can put you in touch with some of the best guys/gals i know.

Terry, don’t you need to learn first?

BAAAAHHAHAH

Snigger.