Bike for sale at grand less than book price

pm sent :slight_smile:

And replied - hope you find it useful!

[quote]
SeanR1 (10/05/2013)

And replied - hope you find it useful![/quote

Deffo - cheers Sean R1! :slight_smile:

don’t think that the dealer would reduce the price due to a fault that can not be easily detected, they’d always try and get the absolute max. Maybe it’s been hard to shift due to the **** weather and they are desperate to convert it back to cash?

yeah - I hear what you are saying - but all his other bikes seem to be accurately priced - even the weird ones that you’d think he would want to get shot of - but a popular low mileage sportsbike should be relatively easy to shift with the summer coming up without having to take a grand off it - plus I’ve seen a couple of bad stories about the place which have put me off.

I don’t want to mention the name of the outfit because I don’t want to diss a dealer on a public forum on the basis of a couple of bad reviews.

I think I’m going to go with my gut feeling on this one.

6 years ago I bought my new bike for a grand less than list price (BTW that was about half new list price for same model today). Bear in mind that compared to 6 years ago new bikes are all over-priced in the current climate. Even if you get it for less you are probably paying more than it’s worth.

It would be much simpler if bike manufacturers were nationalised and all bikes had to be sold at cost plus 5% (or whatever the RPI is these days) :wink:

Try to knock off another £500…if they’re desperate enough they might go for it…

My gut tells me this one has underlying issues - and it’s probably being sold minus warranty/service history/hpi check etc - i’ll phone up and find out.

Earlier in the year I thought about buying a ‘new’ bike that had been sitting unsold in a dealership for 4 years. It was massively discounted…defunct brand…out of warranty…flat battery…only damage arse cheek marks on the seat and sagging suspension from all the thousands that had sat on it! Decided against it in the end as my bike is better :slight_smile: but it was a proper bargain.
When you call the dealer ask them how long they’ve had it and where they got it…might it be a similar scenario?

I’ve been following auto trader for a few months now - this one has only just popped up - they might have bought it at an auction or got it in a part ex.
The shop is a bit on the tatty side.
Some bikes seem to shift - others as you say hang about for literally months.

You need to speak to them and view it with the documents, it’s what your looking for and around the right price - until you do it will always play on your mind.

Yeah your right - It will be a good useful experience to go and check it out and see what the score is.

T-Cut and a good detailing can hide a lot of things mate… BE very cautious and take a good mechanically minded mate to the viewing… demand a cold engine that hasn’t been prewarmed before you arrive and ride the thing for a test for at least an hour on as many roads as you can and through all gears up and down

If it stands that test… may just be a bargain… it has been known to happen…

Yeah too true mate.

I don’t know why but my sixth sense tells me I could be walking into an elaborate trap - like a kind of foolish magpie attracted to a shiny silver medallion which turns out to be just an old milk bottle top.

Thing is that as it’s a dealer, if it does turn out to be knackered and they didn’t tell you before you bought it then, technically, you can return it for a full refund. Obviously it’s not always actually that easy, but even used goods must be “accurately described”, “fit for purpose” and of “satisfactory quality” so the Sale of Goods Act should have your back :slight_smile:

true - although I have heard that this place has a rather ‘rough and ready’ attitude to customer complaints . . .

With all this speculation, even if it’s sound you’ll always be looking for problems with it… find another bike that you can trust.

Yeah - to be honest on reflection I’d be happier paying book price from a reputable dealer than getting a bargain from a place I don’t totally trust.

My bike is my only transport and not a toy/weekend thing - I use it for work, going to the supermarket - everything - so I absolutely have to get a solid machine.

This thread has helped me to arrive at this conclusion. :slight_smile:

Could be like a dealer local to me who occasionally gets a bike in at a really good price to them - some punter desperate to sell it and takes a big hit selling direct to a dealer. The dealer then retails the bike on at a similarly discounted price to get a quick sale whilst still making their standard profit margin. Happens. Or maybe he’d totally screw the buyer over on their trade-in price if they have one. Who knows?

Regardless, at ÂŁ1000 off the usual price, you have plenty of scope to get the full works professional inspection done and still be quids in.

If you’re really worried about the cheap price, PM me the dealer and I’ll ask him to put it up buy a grand and if you buy, I’ll split the extra profit with him £500 each :wink:

S’funny - We all tend to judge the seller as much as the bike.

My Dad, bless his soul, used to say “Never do business with someone you don’t like” … it’s true, never mind how good the deal looks, if you don’t like or trust someone it will probably end in tears.

I’ve had some sellers who turned out to be right clowns, shifty and suspicious and walked away.

Others seemed solid with clean bikes, full paperwork etc etc and I’ve trusted them - with no regrets.:slight_smile:

Of course some conman could play the honest card but they’d better be bloody good at it!

Gut feeling guys - never let’s you down! :smiley: