Bike cleaning

Is there any product I can use to brighten up my exposed alloy parts on the bike? Theyre looking a bit jaded after winter. For example calble/ hose clips, brake line junctions, starter motor casing etc.

Belgom Alu is the Mutz :cool:

Perfect. Thanks. Can I get that anywhere? Im near Essential Rubber so wonder if they have it.

In fact in places its frankly corrossion. Will it get that off too or will that be down to some emmery paper and hard work? I hate hard work.

Its non-abrasive and eats ali corrision, literally:w00t: It protects against future corrosion too.

I’m not sure of any shops that stock it but you can buy it online and on fleabay:)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BELGOM-ALU-Metal-Polish-Cleans-Polishes-and-Protects_W0QQitemZ260228676384QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item260228676384&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A5%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A2%7C240%3A1318

Thankyou. Done!

This is the product I use, very easy to do and no elbow grease (for me anyway !!).

http://www.mo-clean.co.uk/

[quote]
Trojan (14/02/2009)

This is the product I use, very easy to do and no elbow grease (for me anyway !!).http://www.mo-clean.co.uk/[/quote]I bet you get someone else to clean your MP5 too;):smiley:

[quote]
ChunkyMonkey (14/02/2009)

Lol, if I could but then I am a lazy ******* !

Some of the ‘jaded’ bits you have mentioned are not normally ally but could be zink or cadmium coated steel which if polished with an abrasive ally polish will end up going rusty .
For anything that is alluminium i always use autusol.

Some of the ‘jaded’ bits you have mentioned are not normally ally but could be zink or cadmium coated steel which if polished with an abrasive ally polish will end up going rusty .
For anything that is alluminium or stainless steel i always use autusol.

Oh crap. So how do you tell the difference?

Good point Zeph:)

Zinc plated bits are usually a very dull silver colour, cadmium plated bits have a goldish colour and used for standard brake hose unions and small brackets. If you aren’t sure, get a magnet. They will be steel underneath and will atract the magnet. Alloy parts wont atract the magnet.

Thanks a lot guys.

OK, so let me see if Ive got this straight:

Aluminium/ stainless steel/ zinc or cadmium coated, use autusol as reccommended by Zeph

Alloys, use Belgom Alu as reccommended by Chunky.

But surely the first list contains both magnetic and non magnetic stuff? Or have I got my lists mixed?
Bloomin eck this is turing into A level Chemistry. :slight_smile:

I wouldnt use autosol on plated parts as its very abrasive and after a few applications you will be left with plain mild steel:w00t:

It depends if your brake unions are standard or braided. If they are standard then they will probably be cadmium plated. Sexy braided ones can be either plated, stainless or alloy. (Alloy is not recomended for road use)

When little brackets get skanky I tend to paint them with Smoothrite satin black spray or get them powder coated if I’m having big bits done as well.

I see - both products are for alloy and not for the plated stuff.

Mine are very standard. I havent changed anything on the bike since new.

The brake line joints are the colour of solder from memory. As for the starter motor cover Im guessing its an alloy judging by the copious amounts of white salty stuff that is now blooming accross the surface.