Better commuting route than the 'Northern Line'?

I sometimes ride to work from Balham to Aldgate. Are there better routes than the ‘Northern Line’? I realise most routes are going to be busy but the traffic light phasing along the Northern Line route normally means I get caught by most of them!

I don’t mind going a slightly longer way if it will be quicker. When I used to work at Old Street, I’d go via The Cut, Blackfriars and through Smithfields but pops me out a bit too North for Aldgate.

Following the tube lines is a novel way to navigate London :wink:

Try these waypoints in your TwatNav Kings Ave SW12, Acre La SW2, Coldharbour La SW5, Albany Rd SW5 and Tower Bridge.

Or you could just chuck a right at The Elephant, New Kent Road, Tower Bridge Road, Tower Bridge and The Minories, how much orf The Northern Line do you want avoid.

Also hitting green lights may just be a speed thing, try slowing down, slower can be quicker and less stressful.

Most of the first route has a 20mph limit & plenty of choke points with traffic islands that are camera monitored for enforcement.

I commute from Streatham to Docklands & based on my experience, I’d say go with NT’s second suggestion - take the A24/A3 up to The Elephant and Castle then hang a right down the New Kent road & go over Tower bridge.

Thanks NT! I will give it a go next time!
I’m not usually sprinting off lights… The scooters all beat me :slight_smile:

Think we need some certain standards before people can post on the site :grinning:

That’s especially if I don’t stall with this whole clutch thing :wink:

this is the route I usually do when I’m over that way

https://goo.gl/maps/A7UsPr1EK4m

Thanks that looks slightly more complicated but I should give it a go when not in a rush in case I get lost!
Thanks for the tips too, Pat!

Thanks that looks slightly more complicated but I should give it a go when not in a rush in case I get lost! Thanks for the tips too, Pat! ShaunC
its easy once your used to it