Best commuting machine for inside north/south circular?

Tried to add to the last post but can’t figure out how to add a photo to an existing post. 

And now I can’t figure out how to make the image smaller. Apologies everyone. Will leave the photo stuff to the Jets

Attachments

photo_upload.jpg

Sh300i far nippier around town - same engine but weighs 25kg less & has a 108mm shorter wheelbase.

My favourite scooter at the moment is the Piaggio Beverley 350. Totally uncool but weighs almost nothing, 75mpg and does 0-50 in 4 seconds so is fantastic round town.

What you getting?

Not too sure a big scooter is the way forward. They seem like thief magnets;
https://londonbikers.com/forums/posts/1089122/vespa-300cc-2014-model-stolen-in-n1

Grampian, is that where your from?

No, I’m not that central thankfully and have secure parking at each end. I don’t have a lock of any sort for the CG, and it’s not even insured for theft.
Going off the scooter idea, had a look at some on the way home and imagined walking up and hopping on as if it were mine. Didn’t feel right at all. Maybe I’ll get a cheapy alongside something else for the really grotty days.

No, I'm not that central thankfully and have secure parking at each end. I don't have a lock of any sort for the CG, and it's not even insured for theft. Going off the scooter idea, had a look at some on the way home and imagined walking up and hopping on as if it were mine. Didn't feel right at all. Maybe I'll get a cheapy alongside something else for the really grotty days. Grampian
third party only? wow

If you did get a scooter, don't ride like a tw*t please... :) I rode next to a Repsol Fireblade today, those are rather nice & practical commuters.

Aprilia Mana

I think the questions you need to ask yourself are

What will another bike/scooter do that your CG doesn’t?

Will it be equally of little interest to aspiring football stars?

Will the financial outlay warrant it?

1. What will another bike/scooter do that your CG doesn't?
  1. Will it be equally of little interest to aspiring football stars?

2. Will the financial outlay warrant it?

National Treasure
  1. Mostly nothing and several things worse…but will hopefully be a more enjoyable and/or practical means of getting about. I won’t see 120mpg again unless sticking with a 125, that’s for sure, but the cost of fuel is a small part of the overall proposition.

2. Not very relevant as it’ll only go between two discreet and secure parking areas, but (probably) not particularly. Do they go for NC700s? “Yo bruv… check out da frunk on dis!

3. No, but I’ve come to realise it rarely does with bikes. When viewed as not just a way of getting to work but a fun way of getting to work it’s easy to justify. Driving a car in London is rarely enjoyable.

I’m currently using the MT09 but looking at buying a Honda Grom for commuting.

I have a severe hatred for Honda bikes but the Grom looks like fun.

I don’t think it’ll be slow as it only weighs 100kg…its probably one of the fastest 125 haha

I use Yamaha Xmax 250 as my commuter

80mpg, can fit two helmets under seat plus stick a top box on and can fit almost anything on it.

Will sit at 70mph comfortably and accelerates well (for a scooter)

Nc750 all the way, good commuter bike. A bit gutless but if your going up from a 125 it will do you well. Storage where the tank should be is cool too.

Have to agree that you should chose a bike you enjoy because ultimately you will end up swapping it if your unhappy. Good luck

I'm currently using the MT09 but looking at buying a Honda Grom for commuting.

I have a severe hatred for Honda bikes but the Grom looks like fun.

LD13
shame this isn't coming to the UK http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2015/october/kawasaki-reveals-the-z125-and-z125-pro-in-japan/

shrug love commuting on the r6. Been almost 7 years now.

What’s not fun is just getting stuck. But a little back and forth gets me through just about every gap the scooters manage!

Might be a bit self-serving, but I have a perfectly nice 2009 Hornet with ABS in the for sale section :slight_smile: Plenty nimble, reasonably economical, more than enough power, and you can comfortably stick a top box and pillion on the back. 

I’ve been commuting on a Versy 650 for the last few years and it a best commuting bike I have had (Passed commuting bikes:- Hornet,CBR, RR, ER6, GSXR)

Nice high seat postion to see traffic, very comfy seat, good wind protection. I find I can move and weave around in traffic, nice reliable engine, cheap to service.

I do enjoy riding it, 

Attachments

do you find it’s width a hindrance?

I rode around Walthamstow and its mini Holland schemes last week and yesterday we rode through Hackney and its blanket 20 mph speed limits. If the rest of London goes the same way ‘the best commuter’ will be a bicycle.

If you’re only keeping central, it probably already is. When I was commuting tooting-central London sites, the bicycle was only slightly slower than the bike, fuel is free, running costs minimal, park right outside work (or sometimes inside).

If you're only keeping central, it probably already is. When I was commuting tooting-central London sites, the bicycle was only slightly slower than the bike, fuel is free, running costs minimal, park right outside work (or sometimes inside). monkimark
I've been looking at battery powered bikes for this very reason.