Best commuting machine for inside north/south circular?

Apologies for the question that has probably been asked before, but I’ve done a search and most What Bike? topics concern themselves with outer London and beyond commutes.

My commute is entirely on semi-busy 30mph roads (with a tiny 40mph section and some 20mph bits which everyone treats like 30’s) and I’m interested in getting some suggestions of the best all-year-round commuting tool. At present I have my CG125 but would like something: more refined, at least a bit quicker, not subject to any ULEZ surchages (i.e. 2007 onwards or so), with ABS.

Price preferably under £4k but could stretch further if required, no licence restrictions.

Because I’ve only ever ridden a CG I’ve no idea what the alternatives might be like, hence I muse over random assortments including: NC700/750s, SH300s, MT-07s, Versys 650 and others.

Any recommendations welcome, oh and no four cylinder engines.

Thanks

The sensible answer is probably a scooter, it was for me but that didn’t stop me selling the scooter and buying a 600 the week after I did my DAS.

Yeah, a scooter’s your most sensible option, but they’re not very cool. Have you got a budget? Any preferences at all?

I would agree that scooter is probably the way to go. Lots of storage, wind coverage, good mpg, very manoeuverable,

Why no 4-cylinder engines?

How longs the commute? 

I’m convinced that a modern 125cc is perfect for inner city slower commutes. As much as I don’t like scooters; there are also perfect for the task.

But there’s plenty of options for the 600 mark; MT-07, NC-700, SV 650, CBR650(f/rr), GSX600’s etc etc.

Any top scooter suggestions within the criteria? SH300 stands out to me but have heard of others with more than 125cc engines and ABS.

With the exception of the CG every machine I’ve had has been a 4-cyl and it’s a good opportunity for something else. It also conveniently removes a whole load of choices.

Commute is 11 miles each way.

What about a Honda Grom ;) 

I can’t really recommend any bikes though - i’m happy with my Bandit and its a 4-cyclinder :wink:

Grom/MSX I’ve looked at and like but thought it may be a little slow and impractical.

My preference would be a proper bike but is something like an NC750 going to be fatter and less maneuverable in dense traffic?

Don’t think the NC750 will be as maneuverable than a scooter/grom. But depends how dense the dense traffic is :wink: I find with my bike (which is similar size) I can get through most filter spots that I could with my CBF125 (And in some cases I don’t get as stuck as I used to.) I can’t do to much snaking through stationary traffic though as the turning circle isn’t there. Although I did have a DL650 as a hire bike once’ and that was surprisingly good at filtering.

Some.friends have the sh300 in Greece and rate them. The other one is the yamaha vmax or something like that which I believe comes in 150-900cc varieties.

Not too clued up on brands just know that for the same uses I know very few people back home who would get a big bike

I find my R6 is a brilliant little commuter.

I find my R6 is a brilliant little commuter. Changyammi
Love reading comments like yours! I will soon be commuting a sports bike too :)

at OP: The best choice would have to be a scooter to meet your requirements at a £4k budget i’d look to buy a Forza 300

Something that’s not very nickable, so a scooter :wink:

Buy what you like the look of and enjoy it, so many bikes will do what you need.

Buy what you like the look of and enjoy it, so many bikes will do what you need. nivag
+1

supascoot would be the best for inner London commuting

anything over 125cc isn’t restricted by law so will nip along at a fair pace

I do like the Yamaha X Max 500cc twin & the rear suspension is independent from the gearbox  unlike most where the engine/gearbox is the suspension

Go for the SH300i.

My experience: commuted from Kensington to Mayfair (12 mins with traffic) on a Fireblade 954 (2002) for several years. Slightly :-) overpowered for the task but it was my regular bike for weekends and old enough that I never worried about theft leaving it on the street. The only issue was the limited turning circle in heavy traffic. About a year ago I bought a new S1000rr, which definitely would disappear if I left it in a parking bay so not a commuter candidate.  I kept the Blade for a while, but once I dialled into the RR I lost interest in the Blade.  A month ago I bought an SH300i (2012) from a dealer (laziness) even though it was a little more expensive.  Definitely the right choice to go scooter, and I prefer the 16 inch wheels for stability over say the Vespa.

Top speed is about 85mph on the speedo (probably just below 80 in real life) and comes off the line faster than any car you’ll encounter in city traffic. Good acceleration for overtakes once you get used to the twist-n-go lag (feels like turbo lag in the 90’s).  Very tight turning circle. Suspension handles lean pretty well - haven’t scraped anything yet but surprised myself at far over it will go with the throttle pinned. 

Underseat storage is meh but the top box holds a full face helmet plus other stuff, and the flat floor soaks up a very big bag.

Only issue is the ego when a real bike goes by, but I console myself that on weekends I’m the one doing the overtakes…

No shortage of secure parking space at home or work so the current shopping list is a ~300 scooter for the wet/busy days, and a ~600 bike for the rest of the time. Should be OK on the ego front, I seem to be passing plenty of ‘real bikes’ on my CG as it is.

ps. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Go for the SH300i.

About a year ago I bought a new S1000rr …  A month ago I bought an SH300i (2012) from a dealer (laziness) even though it was a little more expensive.  Definitely the right choice to go scooter, and I prefer the 16 inch wheels for stability over say the Vespa.

Top speed is about 85mph on the speedo (probably just below 80 in real life) and comes off the line faster than any car you’ll encounter in city traffic. Good acceleration for overtakes once you get used to the twist-n-go lag (feels like turbo lag in the 90’s).  Very tight turning circle. Suspension handles lean pretty well - haven’t scraped anything yet but surprised myself at far over it will go with the throttle pinned. 

Sports
Do I take it the BMW is just gathering dust now?

Haha no the BMW is the Make Dust of “You Either Make Dust or Eat Dust”